Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Mutter Lands NVIDIA Hybrid GPU Copy Acceleration

Phoronix: GNOME Mutter Lands NVIDIA Hybrid GPU Copy Acceleration

Merged on Tuesday into GNOME Mutter is NVIDIA secondary GPU copy acceleration support that allows for much better performance of hybrid laptops featuring integrated graphics paired with a discrete NVIDIA GPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Kwin have an equivalent fix, or did it never have the issue in the first place?

Comment

Wonder if this also helps on my desktop. It has an R9 Fury and an RTX2070S. My displays are hooked into the former most of the time. One of them has to be because it's old and uses DVI which the RTX2070S doesn't have.

Comment

Is this the equivalent of SDMA copies on AMD cards?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          Wonder if this also helps on my desktop. It has an R9 Fury and an RTX2070S. My displays are hooked into the former most of the time. One of them has to be because it's old and uses DVI which the RTX2070S doesn't have.
          You don't use the motherboard APU graphics connector for your discrete card, right?

Comment

Finally... the next Fedora release with Gnome 47 will FINALLY run on laptops with hybrid nvidia configurations.
            And by then we'll also have explicit sync for vulkan wsi available in the nvidia blob!
            So after so many years we might be able to play a game or two without hickups

Comment

The Milestone is 46, so this will ship in 46.1 in a couple of days

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post

You don't use the motherboard APU graphics connector for your discrete card, right?
                No, I don't even have an APU. These are two discreet graphics cards, one AMD and one Nvidia. I've kept my old AMD GPU because it better deals with Wayland, which in turn is better for multi-monitor, and it's got a DVI-connector which I'm making use of. I often find that features like Prime offloading, which is intended for hybrid laptops, also works in my case although it's not officially supported use case. Hence why I'm wondering if this would be beneficial too.

Comment

Something I will greatly benefit from in 6 months. Sweet!

Comment

AFAIK this will be going into the 46.1 release that will be out this weekend, not gnome 47.

Gnome 47 development should start next week.

Comment

Working...
                    X