Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Nouveau Lead Developer Joins NVIDIA, Continues Working On Open-Source Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Nouveau Lead Developer Joins NVIDIA, Continues Working On Open-Source Driver

Phoronix: Former Nouveau Lead Developer Joins NVIDIA, Continues Working On Open-Source Driver

Following last year Nouveau receiving support for running with the NVIDIA GSP firmware and initial GeForce RTX 40 series accelerated support, Ben Skeggs of Red Hat unexpectedly resigned as the Nouveau kernel driver maintainer. It turns out this longtime open-source Nouveau driver developer is now employed by NVIDIA Corp and continuing to work on the open-source Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ben, good luck at NVIDIA.

Comment

So much for the opensource driver then :-D

Comment

Well, I suppose this is one way to prevent him from reverse-engineering NVIDIA hardware ever again. Even if he left there tomorrow, all his future contributions would now be tainted by internal knowledge and thus legally untenable.

Comment

@kpedersen​ Looks like you were right back then when you wrote this lol:

"Nah, its easy. Nvidia will just employ a couple of guys to contribute to Nouveau a little bit more now that all the real hard work is done. Then in a few years, the later generation of Phoronix readers will just worship Nvidia for their fantastic and crucial work and contribution.

Then Nvidia may even start to lock parts of it as extensions behind a paywall and people will defend them saying that they should be entitled to payment and absolute control for "all *their* hard work".

Last edited by kpedersen; 17 December 2023, 12:41 PM.

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...e3#post1429217

Comment

I'm interested in only one thing. The hell will my old card ever work with Nouveau like it does with the Nvidia driver? If so, I continue to bless him.

However, I don't think anyone will do it anymore. Probably because of the license.
            So all you have to do is buy a new card.​
            or
            Use a repository where old Nvidia driver binaries are modified to use with the latest kernel.
            Last edited by Rovano; 17 April 2024, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I wonder if he'll be involved with Nova? Or if this was just a final clean up exercise before moving onto other internal projects

Comment

Of course, wishing good luck to him and grateful for his contributions. I highly suspect Nvidia's intention is supporting Nouveau development as he might be out as Nouveau developer now that he knows the Nvidia driver code. There has never been shortage of talent, that is the advantage of open source. Microsoft could not kill it, Nvidia will certainly fail.

Comment

I hope this is evidence of Nvidia turning a new leaf.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Bahr View Post
                    @kpedersen​ Looks like you were right back then when you wrote this lol:

"Nah, its easy. Nvidia will just employ a couple of guys to contribute to Nouveau a little bit more now that all the real hard work is done. Then in a few years, the later generation of Phoronix readers will just worship Nvidia for their fantastic and crucial work and contribution.

Then Nvidia may even start to lock parts of it as extensions behind a paywall and people will defend them saying that they should be entitled to payment and absolute control for "all *their* hard work".

Last edited by kpedersen; 17 December 2023, 12:41 PM.

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...e3#post1429217
                    Why then did he resign as Nouveau maintainer?
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X