Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LXQt 2.0 Released For Qt6 Desktop Port, Greater Wayland Support

Phoronix: LXQt 2.0 Released For Qt6 Desktop Port, Greater Wayland Support

LXQt 2.0 is now available for this lightweight desktop environment that has now been ported to the Qt 6.6+ toolkit. Additionally, much of the LXQt components are ready to be used under Wayland compositors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> Wayland will be the main target of LXQt 2.1 development where as with LXQt 2.0 the main focus was on moving from Qt5 to Qt6.

A bit more detail from the release notes...
    The components which are not ready for Wayland yet include ScreenGrab, LXQt Global Shortcuts, LXQt Panel’s task-bar and keyboard indicator (but LXQt Panel can be used under Wayland without those plugins), some input settings, and settings of monitor, power button, and screen locker. However, most Wayland compositors have tools that can be used instead of them, such that an LXQt-Wayland session is already possible for advanced users.​

Comment

I would love if phoronix made some benchamarks to see if this can be called lightweight in any sense of the word.

KDE Plasma is pretty lightweight as it is now, and to best of my understanding you cannot make it significantly lighter without ditching Qt.

Comment

Phoronix members: "LXQt is a minor desktop and they are so far behind with Qt6 and Wayland support, it will take them years!!!"
        LXQt: *releases Qt6 port with pretty good Wayland support shortly after KDE Plasma 6 landed*

Great job, LXQt team! It's a wonderful DE!

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
          I would love if phoronix made some benchamarks to see if this can be called lightweight in any sense of the word.

KDE Plasma is pretty lightweight as it is now, and to best of my understanding you cannot make it significantly lighter without ditching Qt.
          Eh, you can. That's why not only LXQt is lighter, but also LiquidShell.

Comment

LXQT I've been dinking around a bit. I would say it's "mostly there" for people who want to beta test it. Labwc seems like it will be the best compositor/wm to use for traditional folk. But I think hyprland will be quite good too. I'm looking forward to trying it with. However it looks like cosmic is focusing on their own implementations of protocols that will be close to "upstream wayland" so until those are merged I don't think much effort will really be put into cosmic-comp compatibility (which is a massive shame IMO) For instance cosmic-comp uses cosmic-screencopy currently and has a draft PR for ext-screencopy. I believe it's the same way with workspaces. Instead of WLR toplevel, it uses cosmic-toplevel and will most likely become whatever the current PR is.

for people who want to try labwc, I reccomend compiling lxqt-panel with https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt-panel/pull/2046​ or whatever the most up to date PR is. and it's not bad so far

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Eh, you can. That's why not only LXQt is lighter, but also LiquidShell.
              You say it, with nothing to show. I remember some time ago phoronix doing roundup, and to everyone's surprise "light" lxde was heavier than plasma. And that was plasma5, imagine plasma6 if they have moved forward and not regressed....

saying youi are light don't make you so. It needs to be tested and proven.
              Last edited by varikonniemi; 17 April 2024, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                LXQT I've been dinking around a bit.
                +1 for a proper dink test. -1 for Freedesktop.org banning Hyprland lead dev; don't care whatever non-tolerant reason they had.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  hyprland will be quite good too. I'm looking forward to trying it
                  Hyprland is a joke

- Gaming has tremendously higher output latency which makes textures fuzzy with quick motion despite high FPS + VRR. Intermittent stutters aren't uncommon either.. (Performance between Sway and KDE is indistinguishable in my Ryzen 7950X + Radeon 7900XT).
                  - XWayland apps are often blurry after launching (until you resize them).
                  - Cursor changes size/re-renders between apps (it looks like it changes shape).
                  - Problems with high resource usage are frequent.
                  - Tearing mode is half-baked. The cursor runs at the same framerate as the game despite VRR and VSYNC being disabled.
                  - Majority of the code is large chains of conditions, it's incomprehensible
                  Last edited by Kjell; 17 April 2024, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Hyprland is a joke

- Gaming has tremendously higher output latency which makes textures fuzzy with quick motion despite high FPS + VRR. Intermittent stutters aren't uncommon either.. (Performance between Sway and KDE is indistinguishable in my Ryzen 7950X + Radeon 7900XT).
                    - XWayland apps are often blurry after launching (until you resize them).
                    - Cursor changes size/re-renders between apps (it looks like it changes shape).
                    - Problems with high resource usage are frequent.
                    - Tearing mode is half-baked. The cursor runs at the same framerate as the game despite VRR and VSYNC being disabled.
                    - Majority of the code is large chains of conditions, it's incomprehensible
                    - I can't say I have shared your issues when I tried it. Gaming was fine on hyprland and I didnt have any stutters on my RX580 + r5 2600.
                    - Xwayland is blurry on sway anyways for me, I use a 139 fractional scale. So I can't verify your issue. Only kwin has nice crisp xwayland support for me.
                    - Every wayland compositor I know of does this. Sway, and cosmic do too. Just verified both. I believe kwin does as well but I have deleted it.
                    - Havent shared the issues with resource usage. but I haven't used it on a low end system.
                    - cant comment on tearing mode since I don't use it.
                    - can't comment on the code itself since I haven't looked at it.

Comment

Working...
                    X