Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPV 0.38 Media Player Released With New Options & Fixes

Phoronix: MPV 0.38 Media Player Released With New Options & Fixes

MPV as the popular open-source media player forked from MPlayer/mplayer2 and leveraging FFmpeg is out with its newest release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not as famous as VLC, but so much more performant and lighter.

I wish they had more funding.

Comment

Yay MPV!!!

I used to prefer VLC but MPV in my experience is much faster, plays more stuff and handles errors/corrupted files better.... VLC's slogan "plays everything" is no longer the case I think.

Also a deal-breaker for me is that VLC does not allow to easily adjust gamma like MPV does with a simple hot key (as far as I know). And the new (planned) interface is yet another good reason to choose MPV I think.

​​​​

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        Yay MPV!!!

I used to prefer VLC but MPV in my experience is much faster, plays more stuff and handles errors/corrupted files better.... VLC's slogan "plays everything" is no longer the case I think.

Also a deal-breaker for me is that VLC does not allow to easily adjust gamma like MPV does with a simple hot key (as far as I know). And the new (planned) interface is yet another good reason to choose MPV I think.

​​​​
        i haven't used VLC in over a decade because there are just better alternatives. MPV a fine example. i was really annoyed with KDE 6 apparently needing VLC now. at least on arch.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
          i was really annoyed with KDE 6 apparently needing VLC now. at least on arch.
          Not an arch issue. They finally ditched the garbage that is GStreamer. Much of an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
            Not an arch issue. They finally ditched the garbage that is GStreamer. Much of an improvement.
            I always tought that! Finally someone said it too!

I wish every DE used mpv/libmpv, even COSMIC.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              I wish every DE used mpv/libmpv, even COSMIC.
              I don't, especially the last part. That would be useless.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
                i haven't used VLC in over a decade because there are just better alternatives. MPV a fine example. i was really annoyed with KDE 6 apparently needing VLC now. at least on arch.
                I ALWAYS preferred mplayer, however back in the day there were a FEW media things that WOULD play in VLC but NOT mplayer, but yes much like you in the last decade plus rarely to I bother w/vlc. The vlc controls are total ass, along with their intransigence to really support skipping forward and back at a deterministic rate... (although mplayer and subsequent derivatetives also do NOT ALWAYS honor their targeted skip targets, but they're FAR AND AWAY better than vlc which doesn't even really try... and thats one peeve amongst many against VLC...)

I guess end of day for me, vlc was always more of a 'feel good' story than anything that I REALLY wanted to use... as in if there was a way to do it wrong, vlc would do it wrong... and wrong in the worst possible way...

Its like I mentioned above back in the day there were a very few media files that just would not play on mplayer (or derived) players, but in many instances they would on vlc with all of it's incumbent warts... today I cannot recall anything that an mplayer derived player will NOT play back, rendering vlc simply a historical curiosity to me...

Comment

I use MPV on Linux and Android for simultaneously showing two sets of subtitles. Did not find other media players that can do this (as easily).

Comment

MPV is nice but I still find myself preferring Mplayer and VLC over it. I still watch DVD and Blu Ray discs on my systems. And MPV is not good for disc based media.

Comment

Working...
                    X