System76's COSMIC Working On Drag & Drop, More Compositor Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76's COSMIC Working On Drag & Drop, More Compositor Improvements

Phoronix: System76's COSMIC Working On Drag & Drop, More Compositor Improvements

System76 software engineers continue working heavily on their COSMIC desktop that is Rust-written and to debut with their Pop!_OS 24.04 release later this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am so curious to see their image viewer and system monitor apps too.

What a tease every month!

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
      I am so curious to see their image viewer and system monitor apps too.

What a tease every month!
      Im not sure they have an image viewer yet, though cosmic-player might double as one when it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Im not sure they have an image viewer yet, though cosmic-player might double as one when it's done.
        Indeed, no cosmic-viewer nor cosmic-monitor repo on their github yet. I guess they want to polish their existing apps and libcosmic before jumping on the next ones. I think cosmic-player will not be a prio though.

Comment

Excited for this. I'm hoping the theming extends to QT apps eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Indeed, no cosmic-viewer nor cosmic-monitor repo on their github yet. I guess they want to polish their existing apps and libcosmic before jumping on the next ones. I think cosmic-player will not be a prio though.
            Their aim is to get a good working product out but not to be a perfect product from day 1. Gnome and KDE have had 20 odd years to build all these features, Cosmic looks good but you just cant expect it to be fully feature compatible. I personally am eager to try out the finished product, though whenever it ends up hitting Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
              Excited for this. I'm hoping the theming extends to QT apps eventually.
              This! It's riddiculous how bad Qt support is in Gnome and how Gtk support is done well enough in KDE.

Comment

All the apps labelled "IntelliJ IDEA Community" in the (mockup?) pic:

- GitHub Desktop
                - Sublime Text
                - Godot Editor
                - Atom

Comment

Very exciting to have a genuine 3rd option for desktops in Linux. I really expect System76 to do an excellent job with this.

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post

This! It's riddiculous how bad Qt support is in Gnome and how Gtk support is done well enough in KDE.
                    That's because Red Hat / Fedora stopped working on QGNOMEPlatform:

Qt's modular nature extends beyond simple tweaks like CSS. You can provide real deep integration into your platform but because this requires dealing with private headers and tends to break a lot, Fedora couldn't be bothered anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X