Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Godot's Vulkan Backend Seeing Better Performance, 10~20% Reduction In Frame Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot's Vulkan Backend Seeing Better Performance, 10~20% Reduction In Frame Times

Phoronix: Godot's Vulkan Backend Seeing Better Performance, 10~20% Reduction In Frame Times

The Godot game engine has spent the past number of months collaborating with Google and The Forge to bring performance optimizations to their Vulkan back-end. While the immediate focus was on bettering Godot's Vulkan performance for Android mobile devices, this work will ultimately benefit all Vulkan platforms/users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Always good to see the Godot project improve.

Comment

Good improvement.
      However, now that Unreal showcased Nanite years ago, I can’t help myself wondering when we will see an equivalent meshlet system, to enable super high detail geo in Godot the same way ?

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
        Good improvement.
        However, now that Unreal showcased Nanite years ago, I can’t help myself wondering when we will see an equivalent meshlet system, to enable super high detail geo in Godot the same way ?
        It's not impossible, but there are a few issues. First, Godot needs a lot of work on really basic features + optimizations + dev workflow before it ever gets into stuff like that. Second, whoever develops it would have to have never looked at the Unreal 5.1 source, which is source available to anybody who downloads the engine. Otherwise, they may accidentally slip in copyrighted code.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
          Good improvement.
          I'm wondering that too, especially since the 2nd most exciting open-source game engine (Bevy) is implementing it and is making its debut in 0.14, in a few weeks.

Comment

Michael

I almost forgot about this one

"unified membry architecture" should be "memory"

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

It's not impossible, but there are a few issues. First, Godot needs a lot of work on really basic features + optimizations + dev workflow before it ever gets into stuff like that. Second, whoever develops it would have to have never looked at the Unreal 5.1 source, which is source available to anybody who downloads the engine. Otherwise, they may accidentally slip in copyrighted code.

Advanced Vulkan rendering engine prototype. Contribute to milkru/vulkanizer development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
              X