Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Git 2.45 Begins Landing Code For SHA1 & SHA256 Interoperability For Repositories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.45 Begins Landing Code For SHA1 & SHA256 Interoperability For Repositories

Phoronix: Git 2.45 Begins Landing Code For SHA1 & SHA256 Interoperability For Repositories

Junio Hamano announced the release today of Git 2.45-rc0 as the first test release toward the next version of this distributed version control system. Notable with Git 2.45 is beginning to land SHA1 and SHA256 interoperability work for repositories...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In our new age of supply chain attacks, I would hope that most distributed projects have switched to SHA256 by now.

Comment

Git is not inclusive to stupid people like me, I know you nerds love Git but for me who is not as smart as you guys I find it very difficult to use.

It cannot help me when I done modifications on the main branch instead of doing my modifications in a new branch and now I can't pull from the remote.

When there is merge conflicts, it is not so helpful, it just puts some <<< a >>> stuff, but is not so friendly.

It puts this decisions on me like rebase or fast forward and I don't really know the difference, because I don't even know what any of those things are, and I don't even really care, and I don't even want to know.
      I don't know what a detached head is, but it sounds scary.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
        In our new age of supply chain attacks, I would hope that most distributed projects have switched to SHA256 by now.
        SHA1 has some attacks, but to date there's no known way to fake a hash on something rather long and "free-form" like the chained hashes of a git commit.

Im curious if the conversion is really "on the fly", if you do a pull you dont have to redo a single hash, but hash every commit, every directory of each commit and every file-content included at any point in time.
        Would seem more simple to just create a separate "branch" on demand and keep it around until garbage collected.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Git is not inclusive to stupid people like me, I know you nerds love Git but for me who is not as smart as you guys I find it very difficult to use.
          Try https://sapling-scm.com/. It is git compatible with a better UI

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

SHA1 has some attacks, but to date there's no known way to fake a hash on something rather long and "free-form" like the chained hashes of a git commit.

Im curious if the conversion is really "on the fly", if you do a pull you dont have to redo a single hash, but hash every commit, every directory of each commit and every file-content included at any point in time.
            Would seem more simple to just create a separate "branch" on demand and keep it around until garbage collected.
            Right, creating specific content through such a chain is so incredibly hard that the more realistic thing is a poisoning attack and that's only likely to cause short-term annoyance until the bad commit has been removed from repository.

Comment

Thanks, you made me laugh.

Comment

Wow.

I don't think most of us, even enthusiasts, take a step back often enough and realize how truly amazing a gift Linux is.

I've never been enamored with Linus himself, though I applaud his recent efforts to become more civil, but how many of us have started a small personal project that changed the world?

I know that I myself have tried multiple times and failed miserably, though I excuse my failure as it was intended to redirect and consolidate our compassion not technology. But that's a pretty pitiful excuse. A fail is a fail.

Nevertheless somehow Linus created Linux and changed the trajectory of technology. And of course git is a tremendous achievement in and of itself.

I regularly deal with clients and friends that must deal with the Linux alternatives, Windows and macOS, so the superiority of Linux is always on my mind, and I just thought I would remind all of us of it.

Comment

It cannot help me when I done modifications on the main branch instead of doing my modifications in a new branch and now I can't pull from the remote.

When there is merge conflicts, it is not so helpful, it just puts some <<< a >>> stuff, but is not so friendly.

It puts this decisions on me like rebase or fast forward and I don't really know the difference, because I don't even know what any of those things are, and I don't even really care, and I don't even want to know.
                  Yes, Git has a barrier to be learned. It can be started by using a few essential commands, but quite often a beginner will encounter problems if not familiar with how Git fundamentally works. In the past, I have also faced significant issues until I spent one evening reading Pro Git book. I highly recommend every beginner to do that.

Regarding merge conflicts, Git has many merge policies and explicit parameters (ours/theirs) which might avoid manual conflict resolution. Also, setting Git to use a better external 3-way merge tool can help.

Pro Git book
                  Last edited by Jakobson; 20 April 2024, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Of course it wouldn't be a git thread without you commenting about how hard and obfuscated git is to use.

Comment

Working...
                    X