Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Working To Make Key Rack A Viable Password Manager, Better Printing For Flatpaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Working To Make Key Rack A Viable Password Manager, Better Printing For Flatpaks

Phoronix: GNOME Working To Make Key Rack A Viable Password Manager, Better Printing For Flatpaks

This Week in GNOME is out with its latest issue that outlines ongoing exciting work to the desktop thanks to the additional funding from Germany's Sovereign Tech Fund plus a variety of other ongoing desktop/app enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn, it's ugly, it's literally a box of whitespace inside a box of whitespace inside another box of whitespace!

Comment

Why does it differentiate between flatpak and system? A password manager shouldn't care about this.

Comment

Most notable thing is: it is written in Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by FuchtelJockel View Post
          Why does it differentiate between flatpak and system? A password manager shouldn't care about this.
          Probably because there is a difference in implied trust. Flatpaks being "less trustworth" than applications that are installed as "system packages". Also probably because they are grouped into "global" and "per-sandboxed-app", so might as well visiually separate them (haven't checked if this is the case, but there the xdg.freedesktop.secrets portal, so it is likely). Also the system keys probably are shared between all apps, while the others are per app, dunno

Comment

Originally posted by FuchtelJockel View Post
            A lot of GNOME programs make the Flatpak/System distinction, I assume, because Flatpaks are usually implemented in a way where any end user can install them whereas System Apps may or may not be able to be modified by the user; government, corporate, and other such scenarios where the user/root/admin distinctions start to really matter.

On a home system, you're right, it doesn't matter. On a business PC it does. The user doesn't need to and isn't allowed to manage the system package manager or root/sudo passwords.

duby229
            Fuckin A, man.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

A lot of GNOME programs make the Flatpak/System distinction, I assume, because Flatpaks are usually implemented in a way where any end user can install them whereas System Apps may or may not be able to be modified by the user; government, corporate, and other such scenarios where the user/root/admin distinctions start to really matter.

On a home system, you're right, it doesn't matter. On a business PC it does. The user doesn't need to and isn't allowed to manage the system package manager or root/sudo passwords.

duby229
              Fuckin A, man.
              Thank you for this POV. I am just an end consumer of such things. Beside it is written in Rust (which is good) I don't see any additional value in "just another password manager". I use Google PWM, Vivaldi PWM and Bitwarden PWM (Password Manager). But probably in a company they are disabled for whatever reasons, even the browser ones.

Comment

Nice progression for my favorite DE. Two words …Excelsior and Ad Astra !

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Damn, it's ugly, it's literally a box of whitespace inside a box of whitespace inside another box of whitespace!
                  everything about gnome is ugly

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post

everything about gnome is ugly
                    I don't think so. But, yes, there are some nasty corner cases.

Comment

Working...
                    X