No announcement yet.

GNOME Mutter 46.1 Brings Explicit Sync, Better NVIDIA Hybrid GPU Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Mutter 46.1 Brings Explicit Sync, Better NVIDIA Hybrid GPU Acceleration

Phoronix: GNOME Mutter 46.1 Brings Explicit Sync, Better NVIDIA Hybrid GPU Acceleration

GNOME Mutter 46.1 was released this weekend as the developers prepare to release the GNOME 46.1 point release. This Mutter update brings several exciting feature/bug changes back-ported for the GNOME 46 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Best point release ever.

Comment

But there's no support for explicit sync in any released nvidia driver yet?

Comment

Don't use GNOME, it's bad.

Avoid gtk if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

Avoid gtk if you can.
          you forgot to say "follow me for other tech insight"

Comment

Does anyone know if they fixed external screen not turning off when locking the screen issue?
            Like when you lock the screen default behaviour was always putting screen to sleep in x11 but in gnome wayland the screen just goes black but doesn't turn itself off.
            On plasma lock screen when you click esc button it turns the screen off in wayland session as well.
            Is this a bug in gnome or known missing feature? Or am I the only person experiencing this? Have anybody else also observed this?

Comment

Avoid gtk if you can.
              Don't feed the troll

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Don't feed the troll
                Well, according to biology, Trolls, (scientific name: Trollicus Antignomidae) don't starve. Unlike virtually all other species in the Animalia family, Trolls not only don't starve, but also don't change their behavior without food.
                Last edited by user1; 21 April 2024, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Avoid gtk if you can.
                  Most people say GNOME is bad because it's fundamentally different than other popular desktop interfaces. GNOME offers a way to fix that with plugins but plugins don't work from version to version and they change versions every six months. To me, that breakage every six months is what makes GNOME bad.

If GNOME split into GNOME-Next and GNOME-LTS it'd solve a lot of problems. GNOME-Next could be a lot more fluid and prone to breakage (like API changes) with the current six month cycle while the point of GNOME-LTS would literally be for bug and security fixes so people have a long term stable desktop for two to four years.

If they do it right, System76's Cosmic could become GNOME-LTS in spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rauros View Post
                    Does anyone know if they fixed external screen not turning off when locking the screen issue?
                    ...Or am I the only person experiencing this? Have anybody else also observed this?
                    I have several systems at both work and home, most of them have multiple monitors (2-4) attached, all via DisplayPort. They always turn off all screen(s) immediately upon locking. I've never experienced this being a problem on any system, as far back as GNOME 3.teens. When you say "external" I assume you're talking about a laptop with a thunderbolt or HDMI connection? How is your "external" display connected to your computer? With what GPU? What is your timeout set to? The gsettings for this are:
                    Code:
                    gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-battery-timeout
                    gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-timeout​
                    ​
                    There is one setting for AC and one for when on battery. A zero here means the screen will never turn off.

Edit: Found a (maybe) relevant bug report: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...n/-/issues/595

Do you have an open bug report for this?
                    Last edited by browseria; 21 April 2024, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X