Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Linux 40 Available For Download As A Wonderful Upgrade

Phoronix: Fedora Linux 40 Available For Download As A Wonderful Upgrade

It's Fedora 40 release day! Fedora 40 is now available for download from mirrors for this leading Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Enable IPv4 Address Conflict Detection by default in NetworkManager.
    I'm still surprised of how Distros in general are apparently still lacking a default setting warning about ip conflicts to the user. In the past I got some problems with desktops getting ip conflict due to some misconfiguration, and if I didn't had "luck" that the conflict happened with a windows machine (which would warn the user about it), then I would lose some unnecessary time diagnosing that the "slow internet" was being caused by two machines fighting for the same ip.

In my opinion, this is a corner case that distros could give more attention.
    Last edited by furtadopires; 23 April 2024, 10:04 AM.

Comment

the Linux 6.8 kernel is powering this beast along with GCC 13...
      Doesn't it use GCC 14? At least according to this source it currently has GCC 14.0.1.

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post

I'm still surprised of how Distros in general are apparently still lacking a default setting warning about ip conflicts to the user. In the past I got some problems with desktops getting ip conflict due to some misconfiguration, and when if I didn't had "luck" that the conflict being with a windows machine (which would warn the user about it), then I would lose some unnecessary time diagnosing that the "slow internet" was being caused by two machines fighting for the same ip.

In my opinion, this is a corner case that distros could give more attention.
        This, and also Fedora and Ubuntu should stop shipping with systemd-resolved enabled by default, which suffers from endless DNS resolution issues. I mean it sometimes stops resolving simply because there's a slight packet loss and it causes websites to randomly load forever until it starts resolving again. It's unbelievable that 2 of the most popular distributions have such a fundamentally broken piece of software enabled by default.
        Last edited by user1; 23 April 2024, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Doesn't it use GCC 14? At least according to this source it currently has GCC 14.0.1.
          According to my evaluation installation, too.

Code:
          $ gcc -v
          Using built-in specs.
          COLLECT_GCC=gcc
          Supported LTO compression algorithms: zlib zstd
          gcc version 14.0.1 20240411 (Red Hat 14.0.1-0) (GCC)
          ​

Comment

Add support for booting UKIs directly.
            • Boot path is shim.efi -> UKI, without any boot loader (grub, sd-boot) involved.
            • The UEFI boot configuration will get an entry for each kernel installed.
            • Newly installed kernels are configured to be booted once (via BootNext).
            • Successful boot of the system will make the kernel update permanent (update BootOrder).
            ​I'm not a fan of that. UEFI interfaces are nice, but boot loaders have roles to play that shouldn't be tossed by the wayside. I'd go the way of something like ZFSBootMenu. Leverage the technologies and abilities of the Linux kernel as a common base to be able to boot into anything. I'd be cool if there was a Boot Protocol so boot loaders had goals to target like how to handle simple disks and partitions to different file systems, encryption, volumes, pools, etc.

Also, who wants all those Fedora UEFI entries in their loader list from multiple kernels and system backups as well as Windows and PC UEFI entries? All those backups and alternate kernels are things that are good for the nested menu structures that loaders can provide. It seems nice until you've created 37 backups and want to reboot into Windows to watch Peacock....fucking DRM....

Anyways, the rest of it looks really nice. That just seems like it needs a bit of push-back.

Comment

Wonderful upgrade over what? I'm running Arch (+ALHP), what am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Hundreds of 3rd party packages released as deb or rpm that you can only get from some rando on the AUR or from some other rando on flathub?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

This, and also Fedora and Ubuntu should stop shipping with systemd-resolved enabled by default, which suffers from endless DNS resolution issues. I mean it sometimes stops resolving simply because there's a slight packet loss and it causes websites to randomly load forever until it starts resolving again. It's unbelievable that 2 of the most popular distributions have such a fundamentally broken piece of software enabled by default.
                  Systemd still using Google DNS?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    There's always risk when upgrading core packages on Arch. Furthermore, you have to set up SELinux on your own etc. That's why I've switched to Fedora.

Comment

Working...
                    X