Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sovereign Tech Fund Makes New Investments Into GNOME & PHP, Bug Bounty For systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sovereign Tech Fund Makes New Investments Into GNOME & PHP, Bug Bounty For systemd

Phoronix: Sovereign Tech Fund Makes New Investments Into GNOME & PHP, Bug Bounty For systemd

Germany's Sovereign Tech Fund has been making significant, much-needed investments into various open-source upstream projects from the GNOME desktop to Rust-written Coreutils and more. Today the Sovereign Tech Fund outlined their latest funding for advancing the open-source software ecosystem...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Perhaps fund LibreOffice Wayland Skia Vulkan or Okular/Evince to be more on par with Adobe/PDF-XChange? Would this make too much sense for spending tax money on it?

Comment

Sovereign Tech Fund decided to invest into some sh*t this time?

Comment

How much more did they piss away into GNOME? The article doesn't mention it.

aufkrawall Definitely in agreement that LibreOffice can benefit from funding. Imagine what a million Euros for LibreOffice could do? Instead they waste it on GNOME, how shameful. If they're going to fund a desktop, why not KDE? They actually need the money and their foundation is already based in Germany, GNOME already gets more than what it deserves from all its corporate donors.

Comment

Nice one Germany

Meanwhile my shit third world country is embezzling money with overpriced Microsoft licenses and Macbooks for politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
            How much more did they piss away into GNOME? The article doesn't mention it.

aufkrawall Definitely in agreement that LibreOffice can benefit from funding. Imagine what a million Euros for LibreOffice could do? Instead they waste it on GNOME, how shameful. If they're going to fund a desktop, why not KDE? They actually need the money and their foundation is already based in Germany, GNOME already gets more than what it deserves from all its corporate donors.
            Because it is my taxes and I use GNOME. ;-)

I really think they should invest in flatpak portals, so there is an end about which DE to use but all use the same interface.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Perhaps fund LibreOffice Wayland Skia Vulkan or Okular/Evince to be more on par with Adobe/PDF-XChange? Would this make too much sense for spending tax money on it?
              These projects need to apply for the grants. They haven't and that's entirely on them.

Comment

Just saw an article that they gave 300k to Drupal. What a waste of tax money, Milei was right.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post
                  I really think they should invest in flatpak portals, so there is an end about which DE to use but all use the same interface.
                  You would think that, but there is one (Sway or hyperland I think) that refuses to use portals.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
                    Instead they waste it on GNOME, how shameful.
                    If we examine the funding targets more closely, we can see that these are mostly free desktop infrastructure technologies.
                    As such they are available to all of the desktop products, whether they are from GNOME, KDE or any other community or vendor.

The GNOME Foundation is simply providing the legal entity the STF can deal with.

This is neither uncommon nor GNOME specific.
                    The Apache Foundation, the Linux Foundation, KDE e.V. and so on, have also served in such roles before.

Comment

Working...
                    X