Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zrythm 1.0 RC1 Available For Testing As Great Open-Source Digital Audio Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zrythm 1.0 RC1 Available For Testing As Great Open-Source Digital Audio Workstation

Phoronix: Zrythm 1.0 RC1 Available For Testing As Great Open-Source Digital Audio Workstation

Since going beta in 2020, the Zrythm open-source digital audio workstation software has been inching its way toward a v1.0 release. On Saturday marked the release of v1.0.0-rc.1 as a release candidate for the upcoming v1.0 release of this GTK-based digital audio workstation (DAW) software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This looks pretty cool. I think I may have come across it before, but cannot say for sure. I want to play around with some more music stuff. For what I am looking to do, Ardour might not be the right fit to start. Looks like Zrythm might be more approachable for what I am looking to do. Regardless, easy enough for me to install and find out! Thanks for the article and heads up on this one.

Comment

I never heard of this project before. I wonder how it compares to something like Fruity Loops

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
        This looks pretty cool. I think I may have come across it before, but cannot say for sure. I want to play around with some more music stuff. For what I am looking to do, Ardour might not be the right fit to start. Looks like Zrythm might be more approachable for what I am looking to do. Regardless, easy enough for me to install and find out! Thanks for the article and heads up on this one.
        If you want to start with something more simple install LMMS.
        LMMS does not yet fully support LV2 plugins though.

That why I am now using Ardour.

I might also try Zrythm though.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
          I never heard of this project before. I wonder how it compares to something like Fruity Loops
          LMMS started kinda as a Fruity loops clone.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4life View Post

If you want to start with something more simple install LMMS.
            LMMS does not yet fully support LV2 plugins though.

That why I am now using Ardour.

I might also try Zrythm though.
            Okay, thanks for the heads up! I will give LMMS a look. I have heard of but have not used.

Comment

Rhythm, great name. On that topic, has anyone tried slowing down the rhythn of your music? It takes a while to get adjusted to the lower vocal pitch, but if you can overlook that, it really gives the music a whole new rhythm.

VLC lets you change the way the speed is modified. By default, when you speed up, a podcast for example, the voice sounds like the orignal. The same also happens when you slow down, but it sounds completely distorted, and gets much more noticable the slower you get.

So I think it's less annoying to have lower pitch, than trying to match original pitch, but have a choppy sound, especially bass notes don't get reproduces properly either. So I recomnend turning off this effect.

It's in vlc advanced on mobile, but in audio on desktop. Start with just a few percent slower and play your favorites. Try not to focus on the lower vocal pitch, instead focus on the rhythm of the music.

You won't know what speed you like a song at until you try several. What would be really nice is setting up a speed preset for a particular song, so that you could try nearby speeds, without having to set it to that each time.

So, has anyone else tried this, and is there any interest in a preset speed for each song? The feature is already halfway there. Bookmarks save the time, and save playback speed updates the current speed. So just combine those two, and a bit of interface duplication. Use the bookmark list, but rename it, and save it.

So this is a possible feature that wouldn't take an overwhelming amount of work, just copy and rename bookmark ui, add an edit button and bring up the speed slider again.

I have several ideas to improve the speed slider, and preset speed options for plaulylists. So you could have a playlist and play it at one of multiple custom preset speeds--based on each song's preset speed. So there could be a playlist of songs just a bit slower, and then a much slower speed set for each song.

Then you could make a playlist with slightly slower speed, or set it to play all the songs at the much slower speed.

Not only that, you could start a playlist with one song, that is setup with the rhythm you like and use that to set the speed of all the other songs in the playlist, so they are all the same speed (not numerically, but musically).

This is a rarely used feature (playback speed) and those who try it probably don't know that the robotic choppy sound can be turned off, and pitch will be reduced. So I'm bringing more attention to this amazing feature.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                Ardour is kinda more a "Pro Tools" type DAW, others are more like Ableton, or whatever else.

I think it would be cool if these projects would work on some sort of common core project format(s), for stuff that is easy to interchange.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Ardour is kinda more a "Pro Tools" type DAW, others are more like Ableton, or whatever else.

I think it would be cool if these projects would work on some sort of common core project format(s), for stuff that is easy to interchange.
                  You mean like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Authoring_Format ?

Comment

Originally posted by nadirx View Post
                    Similar idea, but better execution. AAF after all this time is as far as I'm aware only well supported in Logic and uhh... I actually don't know of anything else that can import AND export.

Comment

Working...
                    X