Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Readies More Changes For Next Month's Plasma 6.1

Phoronix: KDE Readies More Changes For Next Month's Plasma 6.1

KDE developers have been busy the first few days of May with all eyes shifting to the upcoming Plasma 6.1 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I recommend everyone reading this GNOME issue, opened in regards to the Adwaita icon theme not playing nicely with KDE apps:
    [Here I use the copy icon as an example, but the issue affects everything] The Adwaita icon theme has an icon-named edit-copy-symbolic for its copy...

Comment

Plasma 6 is working great on FC40 KDE spin. Everything, including Steam games, run fast and smooth. I will see if Fedora updates to 6.1 but I am totally fine right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthus View Post
        I recommend everyone reading this GNOME issue, opened in regards to the Adwaita icon theme not playing nicely with KDE apps:
        https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/adwai...e/-/issues/288
        Typical Gnome, "We are doing things our way and we are always right".

Comment

That entire thread is why nobody likes GNOME. Instead of being standards compliant they'd rather be abrasive and push back. Instead of looking towards the future they'd rather a PC have less features than Windows 3.11. GNOME for Workgroups . Do GNOME devs really not know "ln -s $FILE $LINK"? It would explain a lot

For accessibility reasons, not supporting icon themes is just bad. For a real world example, the simpler, more monochrome the icon the more likely I am to flip it around in my mind and see something that isn't there or see it as something else. Because of how I see the world that way, I despise the current KDE trend of using simpler, monochrome icons in apps and the system tray. In the tray with Breeze, Clipboard, Show Desktop, and Networks are all a square boarder with a differing widget and the smaller the panel the more similar they appear. Oxygen isn't perfect since a lot of it doesn't work with dark themes, but I'm 10x less likely to confuse one icon for another in smaller areas and, aside from Bluetooth, the icons that don't appear very well I don't use very often.

Bluetooth, Firewall Applet, Screen Brightness, and Notifications are the Oxygen tray icons that don't show up very well with the Breeze Dark System Theme.

Despised themes aside, at least KDE offers the option to change icons and themes so I can tailor my desktop to suite my needs in regards to how my eyes see the world and how my brain processes that information. On GNOME we have to use Extensions and Extensions break every six months on schedule. Even though accessibility themes are unsupported by the GNOME devs, sorry not sorry, regular and High Color doesn't count, it's still possible with Extensions but that goes back to them breaking with clockwork precision. If you're disabled you have more things to worry about than your desktop breaking the Extensions that make it possible for you to easily use your computer.

And, no, High Color and Regular isn't accessibility. It assumes their users might have one or two different eye or vision conditions and nothing else. That doesn't assist with dyslexia and doesn't necessarily help with color blindness. It's one size fits all Faux-ccessibility.

GNOME is ableist and discriminatory. I'll extend that comment and say that every desktop environment that doesn't offer basic, minimum theming is ableist and discriminatory. Basic, minimum theming is colors, icons, and mouse pointers. Things that were common 14 years ago before the releases of GTK3 and GNOME 3.

I was hoping that libadwaita would get GNOME devs to remove the non-theming stick from their ass and make GNOME more accessible. It seems that all they did was get an extra pointed stick up their ass instead.

Because I think people will go this way: This isn't an X11/Wayland issue. GNOME not following an XDG/FDO icon standard isn't on Wayland. GNOME not allowing themes and icons to be changed has fuckall to do with Wayland. This is more to do with GNOME being a chimera between a Stubborn Mule and a 900lb Gorilla.

Comment

I recommend everyone reading this GNOME issue, [/url]
            Why should we? Just ditch the entire adwaita-crap and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

And, no, High Color and Regular isn't accessibility. It assumes their users might have one or two different eye or vision conditions and nothing else. That doesn't assist with dyslexia and doesn't necessarily help with color blindness. It's one size fits all Faux-ccessibility.

GNOME is ableist and discriminatory. I'll extend that comment and say that every desktop environment that doesn't offer basic, minimum theming is ableist and discriminatory. Basic, minimum theming is colors, icons, and mouse pointers. Things that were common 14 years ago before the releases of GTK3 and GNOME 3.
              It's often said that you can tell when a dev team lacks diversity because of oversights like this. I remember when Microsoft first released the Kinect and it just didn't work with Black people. All of the developers who worked on it were white and of a particular age group and they just never tested their cameras on a meaningful cross section of society. I guess the hope was that by its very nature FOSS would skirt this issue by having such a sheer number of people contributing, and it's sad to see that this isn't the case.

Comment

Great thread. The follow-up is on https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/x...s/-/issues/132

It appears to me, that everyone (Cosmic, Budgie, Kde, ...) is interested in keeping the icon theme spec alive. While Gnome is abandoning it.

It is good to see the maintainers of different Desktop Environments come together ​​

Comment

ngraham Making FDO icon theming useful for app developers again

​So you wanna Make Applications Gaudy Again

Comment

This is exactly why even some long-term GNOME users are getting fed up and leaving. This just keeps happening over and over and over again.

Somone has a simple idea to increase interoperabilty...
                    ​​​​​​​
                    KDE dev: This will be great for our users.
                    Budgie dev: Hell yeah, let's do this!
                    Pop!_OS dev: Great idea!

GNOME dev: Fuck you.

Comment

Working...
                    X