Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell's Layout Being Improved For Smaller Displays

Phoronix: GNOME Shell's Layout Being Improved For Smaller Displays

There's been a lot of improvements coming about in the GNOME desktop space thanks to the ongoing Sovereign Tech Fund and other initiatives toward GNOME 47...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Writing this article was probably more effort than the allow-icon-size-change it is about.

Comment

This wasn’t a problem in GNOME 3.38, it was broken in GNOME 40 onwards. Good to see it’s finally being fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
        Writing this article was probably more effort than the allow-icon-size-change it is about.
        So you don't test your stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

So you don't test your stuff?
          GNOME is testing it by simply shipping it to Fedora and watching the fallout.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
            This wasn’t a problem in GNOME 3.38, it was broken in GNOME 40 onwards. Good to see it’s finally being fixed.
            Sigh, and they still aren't doing anything about the fact that the workspace thumbnails are something like 50x20px boxes.

As much as I like GNOME, the horizontal layout change of GNOME ≥ 40 has been nothing but a disappointment.
            Last edited by intelfx; 04 May 2024, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

GNOME is testing it by simply shipping it to Fedora and watching the fallout.
              And you know this because you are working on the GNOME project?

If not, please stop spreading FUD.

Comment

I applaud this work. My old Lenovo with the last of the AMD Fusion SoCs , the Excavator based Bristol Ridge, has a display that only tops out at the resolution mentioned in the article.

Comment

Well okay, progress.
                  But a overall question: most people use FullHD or even 4K and GNOME wants to be a desktop operating system (I guess). Why is so much time spent optimizing small displays and even smartphones when the normal size desktop doesn't really feel right, especially on large displays? Unfortunately, the overly simple operating concept gets in the way of normal (mouse) users. You have to click and scroll like crazy.

Managing background apps? Meh. Always show the dock, even on the left or right? Ask Ubuntu. Flexible app grid for large displays? Why? Why does it feel like they want to gradually compete with Android? What's the point of these nested menus to turn off the computer - there should be visual buttons on the first level (because you turn off a computer more often than a smartphone).

I would like to have a nice and simple system for everyone that fits exactly where it currently belongs: As a free alternative to Windows and perhaps in the Chromebook niche and on the simple workplace where you primarily work on the web. And actually they would have been a far better system for Steam Deck... Simple is good, but overly simple doesn't work either.

Comment

Good for Gnome, good for me!

Comment

Working...
                    X