Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framework Laptop EC Driver Being Prepared For Linux

Phoronix: Framework Laptop EC Driver Being Prepared For Linux

The modular/upgradeable Framework Laptops employ an open-source embedded controller (EC) firmware derived from Google's Chrome OS EC project. This is great for open-source fans and allows re-using much of the same Chrome OS EC software support that already exists. But there is also vendor-specific commands supported by the Framework Laptop EC and thus a dedicated Linux kernel driver is now being worked on for handling those vendor/device-specific features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wouldn't trust Google.
    It's like saying that for using the safest mobile OS (Graphene) the best way is by buying a phone made by Google: it doesn't actually make any fucking sense!!!

Comment

I'm constantly searching for a reason to buy a framework laptop but unfortunately I have my T430 which is probably good for another 7 years.

But if they add a track-stick I swear I can't hold back anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
        I wouldn't trust Google.
        It's like saying that for using the safest mobile OS (Graphene) the best way is by buying a phone made by Google: it doesn't actually make any fucking sense!!!
        why so paranoid?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          I'm constantly searching for a reason to buy a framework laptop but unfortunately I have my T430 which is probably good for another 7 years.

But if they add a track-stick I swear I can't hold back anymore.
          Isn't that still covered by patents?

Comment

I wouldn't trust Google.
            The article clearly states it's open source.

Comment

I wouldn't trust Google.
              This is true. In 2024, any phone is a piece of crap full of spyware, but Pixel is indeed more secure and libre in terms of software compared to other crap. There are really only three choices: either go with China meme and get the best hardware and a spyOS and up to half year of software maintenance, or go with Pixel and get the "best software" and the most garbage hardware, or go with iPhone and enjoy the thrill of being completely regulated.

Comment

Hopefully, this gets upstreamed eventually too.
                Kernel module to expose more Framework Laptop stuff - DHowett/framework-laptop-kmod

Comment

Looking at Framework makes me wish my 2018 Thinkpad got outdated and make me feel I need to upgrade. That’s not the case though and actually it works amazingly well, it feels like recent Linux updates boosted battery life, it’s darn cold while also being reasonably responsive.

In the meantime, fractional scaling is getting better and it will be amazing to move to some more modern display when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Isn't that still covered by patents?
                    Not according to TrackPoint patent has officially expired as of today. : r/thinkpad (reddit.com)

Comment

Working...
                    X