Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.10 To Drop Support For Very Old DEC Alpha Hardware

Phoronix: Linux 6.10 To Drop Support For Very Old DEC Alpha Hardware

The Linux 6.10 kernel is poised to remove support for old DEC Alpha EV5 platforms and earlier...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have a Compaq XP1000 (EV67) in the basement, but I've always wanted a Multia. The Alpha version of course, not the Pentium. For while, folks couldn't give them away. Then it seems like overnight they went extinct. I haven't seen one for sale in years. Serious question, if anyone here has a working DEC Multia in good condition, I'm interested to buy it! Guess I won't be running kernel 6.10 on it though, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      Have a Compaq XP1000 (EV67) in the basement, but I've always wanted a Multia. The Alpha version of course, not the Pentium. For while, folks couldn't give them away. Then it seems like overnight they went extinct. I haven't seen one for sale in years. Serious question, if anyone here has a working DEC Multia in good condition, I'm interested to buy it! Guess I won't be running kernel 6.10 on it though, lol.
      Of course it runs NetBSD: https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/alpha/

Back when I wanted an Apollo workstation, that was my option. Never did acquire the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Its pretty regional whether or not you'll find ones for sale, but as with all old things scalpers have gotten to a lot of it.
        Last edited by Redfoxmoon; 06 May 2024, 10:30 AM. Reason: english...

Comment

For those that do not remember, EV6 was the bus that made Athlon great. AMD got those bits when Digital (sadly) went under: https://www.anandtech.com/show/355/6

Comment

Just drop all DEC Alpha code from the kernel. We don't need it, I don't think anyone use it.
            Drop other old architectures too.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Just drop all DEC Alpha code from the kernel. We don't need it, I don't think anyone use it.
              Which ones, pray tell, and for what reason?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                The way it works in the Linux kernel world is that if there's somebody willing to maintain a piece of code and it doesn't cause an undue burden on the rest of the kernel, it can stay.

The corollary to that is that if I want some long obsolete architecture to be supported by the kernel, I'm not entitled to kernel developers keeping it alive. If nobody, including me, wants to maintain it, away it goes. Talk the talk, walk the walk.

Wrt Alpha specifically, at least back in the day the people doing core concurrency work used it as a kind of least common denominator test target, as Alpha has the craziest relaxed memory consistency model out there. Not sure if that's still relevant today, but anyway, somebody still seems willing to maintain it. No skin off my nose, good for them.

Comment

At one point in time I had a jensen machine with dual eisa cards in my basement as a firewall. Worked fine until I decided that it's a bit too power hungry for this simple task. It was a very nice machine, have fond memories of it.

Comment

At least my Personal Workstation with a 21164A will make it another kernel version.

Comment

Working...
                    X