ECC DDR5-4800 vs. DDR5-5200 Memory Performance For AMD Ryzen Zen 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECC DDR5-4800 vs. DDR5-5200 Memory Performance For AMD Ryzen Zen 4

Phoronix: ECC DDR5-4800 vs. DDR5-5200 Memory Performance For AMD Ryzen Zen 4

Back when looking at the AMD Ryzen 7000 series budget server performance last year, DDR5-4800 ECC UDIMMs were used with the ASRock Rack 1U4LW-B650/2L2T Ryzen server given that's what was broadly available at the time. Since then there's been more ECC UDIMMs coming to market above DDR5-4800 speeds. Recently I bought a pair of Kingston Server Premier 32GB 5600MT/s DDR5 ECC CL46 UDIMMs (KSM56E46BD8KM-32HA) and that's the focus of today's tests. For those curious if the faster ECC UDIMMs are worthwhile compared to the commonality of DDR5-4800 ECC UDIMMs, these benchmarks are for you.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Infinity Fabric was the same on both speeds?

On my motherboard if I use 4800MTs the FCLK is at 1800MHz, but at 5200MTs the FCLK goes to 2000MHz, automatically selected by the motherboard.

FCLK has a bigger impact than MCLK.

Comment

For the life of me, I cannot understand why would anyone buy RAM that's less than 10% faster than the one they already own... Or CPU, GPU or SSD for that matter.

Comment

When I built my new Zen 4 system I was hoping to get a (non-ECC here) DDR5-6400 96GB kit since that's the fastest my mobo can do with two dual rank DIMMs. But the only 96GB kit at that speed was $400 USD. I picked up a Crucial DDR5-5600 96GB kit for $217. It would be nice if you could easily get single rank DIMMs with densities higher than 24GB. Before anyone drops a lot of money on memory, double check what speeds your mobo supports in terms of DIMMs per channel and rank configuration. E.g. mine...

• 1DPC 1R Max speed up to 7800+ MHz
        • 1DPC 2R Max speed up to 6400+ MHz
        • 2DPC 1R Max speed up to 6400+ MHz
        • 2DPC 2R Max speed up to 5400+ MHz​

So if I want 192GB of RAM, there's no point in going over DDR5-5400 unless a faster kit is cheaper or if I want them to be hand me down DIMMs in other 1DPC systems eventually.

Comment

Also, thank goodness we are getting DIMMs over 32GB finally. It feels like forever ago that server platforms got 128GB DDR4 ECC DIMMs. 48GB on the consumer side is a nice first step, but hopefully we get 64GB DIMMs soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            For the life of me, I cannot understand why would anyone buy RAM that's less than 10% faster than the one they already own... Or CPU, GPU or SSD for that matter.
            I don't think anyone is upgrading their hardware, or even their software stack, just for a 10% bump in performance.

There are people that will pay a lot more for 10% faster hardware when building a new system from scratch.

I personally just set a target price per piece of hardware, like $200 max for CPU, $200 max for GPU, $100 max for ram, $100 ,ac for motherboard, and in fact I usually look for a left over model from HP or Dell that I can upgrade on the cheap.

Comment

NASA's NPB benchmarks

Comment

Working...
              X