Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.3.284 Released With Another Extension To Help Zink

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.3.284 Released With Another Extension To Help Zink

Vulkan 1.3.284 was published on Monday with only a few changes but bearing one notable new extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Love reading suchs PRs

Lots of very smart individual make all of this possible!

Comment

Michael
      Who is ike Blumenkrantz?

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
        Michael
        Who is ike Blumenkrantz?
        Mike's disgruntled brother

The Commit Stops Here

Comment

Michael

Typo

"and vertex attributes wihere the" should be "where"

Comment

Does stuff like this like, optimize stuff that zink already does? Like I'm always seeing "vulkan patch to 'help' with x, y , z", I guess what I'm trying to get at is what does "help" mean in this context?

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post
              Does stuff like this like, optimize stuff that zink already does? Like I'm always seeing "vulkan patch to 'help' with x, y , z", I guess what I'm trying to get at is what does "help" mean in this context?
              Make more efficient and faster. There are always ways to write code to work around something that is missing. This new function just make it faster and more straightforward. It's especially useful when trying to emulate another library such as what Zink is doing.

Comment

So at the end, video drivers have to implement a lot of legacy OpenGL features through Vulkan extensions? I thought Vulkan would make drivers easier to write.

Comment

Originally posted by totoz View Post
                  So at the end, video drivers have to implement a lot of legacy OpenGL features through Vulkan extensions? I thought Vulkan would make drivers easier to write.
                  With extensions like this, driver developers don't need to write OpenGL drivers, they just leave it to the compatibility layer developmers and go full Vulkan

Comment

But they have to implement those extensions, which may be like implementing a legacy feature, no?

Comment

Working...
                    X