Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing HDMI To ATI Kernel Mode-Setting

Phoronix: Bringing HDMI To ATI Kernel Mode-Setting

While the Linux 2.6.31 kernel brought initial support for ATI kernel mode-setting support with graphics cards up through the ATI Radeon X1000 series (and the Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 support coming with the Linux 2.6.32 kernel), the KMS driver is not complete. There is still a fair amount of work ahead when it comes to in-kernel power management, and other areas, including HDMI support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it is about *audio* over hdmi, correct?

Comment

That's how I read it, too

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
      it is about *audio* over hdmi, correct?
      That's puzzling me, because the "only" thing I can think of that needs doing is "telling the graphics card to turn the output on". If fglrx is any indication, the audio device itself is driven by ALSA's snd-intel-hda module. So why 1000 lines of KMS code?

Comment

does ati kms use atombios?

Comment

I think the writer of this story misinterpreted the post some what

The patch brings HDMI audio to the driver. HDMI video has been working for quite some time - I know I've been using it

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            I think the writer of this story misinterpreted the post some what

The patch brings HDMI audio to the driver. HDMI video has been working for quite some time - I know I've been using it
            Fairly sure the writer of the story knew what the post was about, but forgot to explicitly mention that this is related to HDMI Audio, not video. I am quite confident that Michael has written about the initial HDMI audio patches to the radeon (non-HD) driver before.

It seems that he just forgot to include the word audio in the front page posting/article.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
              That's puzzling me, because the "only" thing I can think of that needs doing is "telling the graphics card to turn the output on". If fglrx is any indication, the audio device itself is driven by ALSA's snd-intel-hda module. So why 1000 lines of KMS code?
              The audio needs to be encoded into the actual HDMI stream. fglrx does just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                Yeah, I'd assume you're right. I haven't personally tried HDMI over KMS but I've heard other people have said it works. HDMI audio is the tricky bit. The writer is quite unclear, sadly.

Comment

I found this thread on the radeonhd mailing list archive - makes it clear that it is HDMI audio that is going to be ported.
                  http://lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd/2.../msg00131.html
                  Also mentions HMDI audio not working on RV730...somthing I am all too well aware of.

Comment

Working...
                  X