Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell's Ubuntu 9.04 Offers More Changes

Phoronix: Dell's Ubuntu 9.04 Offers More Changes

Ubuntu 9.04 was released back in April while the next release, Ubuntu 9.10, will be out in less than three weeks. However, only recently has Dell been getting around to rolling out their Linux desktops, netbooks, and notebooks with an Ubuntu 9.04 installation option rather than Ubuntu 8.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why would Dell, a company only 'just now' (relative to Linux in IT in general) is jumping on the 'linux desktop' bandwagon, use a version of OS that has yet to even see the light of day? Any half-arsed company would never use 'the latest' software without first trying it, ad nauseum +5 before testing, bean-counting, then deployment (ooops, I forgot about MS and their 100 Jillion $$$ marketing engine, of which GNU./Linus DOESN'T HAVE which can skip these steps at will). It's simple business

Which is entirely another forum of threads unto itself, but whatever, I've been here and not going to discuss it now.

Dell want to ship the best they can offer based on the best of breed linux distro's available, and for that we should be thankful. Am I on the right bandwidth here? I only say this because I get a negatory feeling from the article posting. I get this a lot from the Phoronix RSS feeds.
    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
      Why would Dell, a company only 'just now' (relative to Linux in IT in general) is jumping on the 'linux desktop' bandwagon, use a version of OS that has yet to even see the light of day? Any half-arsed company would never use 'the latest' software without first trying it, ad nauseum +5 before testing, bean-counting, then deployment (ooops, I forgot about MS and their 100 Jillion $$$ marketing engine, of which GNU./Linus DOESN'T HAVE which can skip these steps at will). It's simple business

Which is entirely another forum of threads unto itself, but whatever, I've been here and not going to discuss it now.

Dell want to ship the best they can offer based on the best of breed linux distro's available, and for that we should be thankful. Am I on the right bandwidth here? I only say this because I get a negatory feeling from the article posting. I get this a lot from the Phoronix RSS feeds.
      Judging from how bloody hard it is to find an Ubuntu Dell on their site (not that I have a problem with that), I think Dell's Linux team is under the correct impression that whatever buyers ultimately end up with Ubuntu Dells are going to be the kind of users who can forgive such things. :P

I personally don't mind one bit.

Comment

Working...
      X