Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cygwin 1.7 Released, Two Years In Development

Phoronix: Cygwin 1.7 Released, Two Years In Development

Besides my sabbatical announcement for the Phoronix Test Suite's benefit, there is some other Windows-Linux news this afternoon. The developers behind the Unix/Linux-like environment for Microsoft Windows have announced the release of version 1.7.Cygwin 1.7 delivers support for Windows 7, multiple Cygwin installations can now co-exist on a system, IPv6 support, the default character set is now UTF-8, support for new authentication methods, and tons of other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The only thing missing is debian for cygwin I hope that with the new release the project will be boosted.

Comment

Originally posted by balihb View Post
      The only thing missing is debian for cygwin I hope that with the new release the project will be boosted.
      would be cool to see apt on Windows...and have Cygwin apps packaged as .debs for easy installation on Windows

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
        would be cool to see apt on Windows...and have Cygwin apps packaged as .debs for easy installation on Windows

this is the latest about it. nothing since than.

Comment

Snake Plisken... er ... cygwin? I heard you were dead.

In all seriousness, wow! a new release after all this time.

I use cygwin at work, since they don't want me to remove windows from my office machine. Not sure I really want to upgrade after the pain of the flaky installer lat time.

I'll probably stick with current until my Windows install or my 6 year old hard drive dies again.

Comment

Working...
          X