Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-intel 2.10.0 Brings Pineview Support

Phoronix: xf86-video-intel 2.10.0 Brings Pineview Support

Intel has just put out its quarterly update to their X.Org DDX driver. This new driver is xf86-video-intel 2.10.0 and it delivers on dropping all support for user-space mode-setting (using kernel mode-setting is now a must), KMS video overlay support (when using the Linux 2.6.32 kernel or later), new debugging options, many bug-fixes, and support for the new Intel Pineview chips. The xf86-video-intel 2.10.0 announcement can be found on xorg-announce...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are these embedded GPUs an Intel architecture, or are they derived from IT's PowerVR?
    Are the ones in the new Atoms the same architecture as the ones in the package of the new top-class CPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by Loris View Post
      Are these embedded GPUs an Intel architecture, or are they derived from IT's PowerVR?
      Intel.

Originally posted by Loris View Post
      Are the ones in the new Atoms the same architecture as the ones in the package of the new top-class CPUs?
      Nope, they're G31-based instead of G45-based, and are much slower.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos386 View Post
        Intel.

Nope, they're G31-based instead of G45-based, and are much slower.
        It makes sense. Using other's technology while trying to develop something new, would have the side effect of leaving no space for future improvement, or at least, they would have to come up with their own implementation in a second time. Now they have something to build upon.

And, Houston, we can program that.

Oh, I almost forgot. chaos386, thank you.

Comment

Am I the only one seeing the release announcement empty?

Comment

This is going to be shipped with Lucid, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
              This is going to be shipped with Lucid, right?
              I'm guessing this will be or newer (probably this one or 2.10.1 etc).

The last update they did to the package was December 9, and I really hope they don't use an outdated one.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                The last update they did to the package was December 9, and I really hope they don't use an outdated one.
                I hope so, too. I currently have issues with the screen flickering under KMS in Lucid.

Comment

Um, how are other operating systems going to work that do not support modesetting yet? Such as Solaris, Freebsd, etc. Are they going to be stuck with the old version of the intel driver?

Comment

Originally posted by dmbtech View Post
                    Um, how are other operating systems going to work that do not support modesetting yet? Such as Solaris, Freebsd, etc. Are they going to be stuck with the old version of the intel driver?
                    Well if was reported here on Phoronix that there are plans to implement KMS in OpenSolaris. I know they recently added support to GEM to the Intel DRM/DRI implementation in the OpenSolaris Kernel.

http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2009/425/mail

As to when this happens your guess is as good as mine.

Comment

Working...
                    X