Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectX 10/11 Coming Atop Gallium3D

Phoronix: DirectX 10/11 Coming Atop Gallium3D

With state trackers emerging for the Gallium3D driver architecture to provide acceleration for a range of APIs from OpenGL ES and OpenVG to OpenGL and OpenCL, we knew it was likely that at some point there would be support for Microsoft's DirectX API. There was even a rumor of Tungsten Graphics already having a working DirectX state tracker...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Boring... vmware+msdonkey=uselessness.

Comment

Maybe not so boring for the wine developers?

Comment

It won't help the Wine devs, they still need to support closed source drivers like FGLRX and Nvidia...

However, looking long term, this is very interesting. If the open source drivers support D3D 10/11 (and I'm sure D3D9 at some point) that means there will be a standardized API for creating a D3D context under X.

At a guess, I'd say in 2 years time we'll have these state trackers, also by that time nouveau and the open source radeon drivers will be used by people that don't need the extra performance that the closed drivers give, I'd say that was a large majority of people.

So, if all that happens, DX will gain popularity as a graphics API on Linux, and it would be relatively trivial for ATI/Nvidia to implement the X-D3D API (if as they say they share most of the code with Windows).

If that happens, Wine won't need their WineD3D layer, as both open and closed drivers would support D3D on Linux. Cool eh

Comment

Michael, first, i really enjoy the services Phoronix provides me (both news and discussion-wise), and I know that as a non-subscriber leech I can't possibly make any demands, but could you please stop using "atop" in every second sentence? Reading this word is actually making me cringe by now.

Comment

Hey guys, you don't really believe VMWare will release source code of their D3D state trackers, do you? That would be like saying "come VirtualBox and take some of our market share, you're welcome".

What Zack says and what will FOSS community get are two entirely different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazade View Post
              So, if all that happens, DX will gain popularity as a graphics API on Linux
              And this is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE thing that should be avoided at ALL COSTS.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                I agree, but if we get native D3D I think it's quite likely to happen.

Comment

The first thing I thought about when I first read about Gallium3D was DirectX and Glide.

Any change of a Glide state tracker being usefull? I'd love to play an old Glide game in under Wine

Or is this totally unrealistic? In other words; would it work just as much as DirectX does as a state tracker under Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    [Throwing oil to the fire]

Why? D3D is a pretty nice API.

Not to mention that the people who design D3D are mostly the people who design OpenGL (that is, AMD, Nvidia, Intel and the rest).

Comment

Working...
                    X