Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Now Switched On In Ubuntu 10.04

Phoronix: Nouveau Now Switched On In Ubuntu 10.04

It's been a long time coming, but beginning with the new daily builds of Ubuntu 10.04 and then coming up for Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 3 is Nouveau driver support by default for NVIDIA graphics hardware. The Nouveau kernel DRM was back-ported from the Linux 2.6.33 kernel (since then more graphics DRM is being pulled back) and the xf86-video-nouveau DDX driver that supports kernel mode-setting has been dropped into place in the Lucid repository. The Nouveau stack in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS provides 2D and X-Video acceleration with kernel mode-setting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Quite frankly, I think Ubuntu made a poor decision about the kernel and XServer for Lucid. They should have (IMHO) chosen the 3.6.33 kernel and Xserver 1.8; it was clear that both would be at the RC stage by now, so it was something that could be worked with. Irons could have been worked out through the stabilization period of the distro, at which time both would have gone golden. And then, bugfix udpates would have done the trick. Most OEM users would definitely go through a testing period after Lucid release before deploying anyway, which would have bought some extra time.

Right now they are in a position of missing lots of cool bits, and having to backport them, which is probably more risky than using the newer components all together to begin with.

Oh well.

Comment

The proof of the pudding ...
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

I'm not entirely sure why Ubuntu is doing all this backporting. I like it, don't get me wrong, but this release is going to be stable (as in unchanging) for a whopping 3 years. A missing 2D-nouveau is obviously going to be just one minor part of all the obsolete crap that Lucid will provide 3 years down the road.

In other words: everything--including nouveau--will be obsolete in 6 months anyway, why go through so much trouble to make a few parts newer than the rest?

So, what I would do: just ship with vanilla .32 and let the people who want something new upgrade to Lucid+1 in 6 months.

Comment

I think the real question here is whether Lucid should be a KMS or a UMS release.

If it's going to be "the last UMS release" then staying with 2.6.32 and backporting is viable. If it's going to be "the first KMS release" then most of the graphics kernel changes from 2.6.33 are needed.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I think the real question here is whether Lucid should be a KMS or a UMS release.

If it's going to be "the last UMS release" then staying with 2.6.32 and backporting is viable. If it's going to be "the first KMS release" then most of the graphics kernel changes from 2.6.33 are needed.
            I don't understand what is so problematic of having both?!
            Each activated for use with the right(installed) driver?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Good point, although I think they are focusing more on "what's the best we can offer now". Not surprisingly, the answer is "the best is the latest". But we knew this almost 3 months ago when they decided to go for stability.

I just think Ubuntu is a fantastic distribution, but something they could improve is how they think of a release. In my view, they are thinking that their final product is the generic release. I really think they should consider that a starting point, and work with hardware vendors, large corporations and the like in customization for particular platforms where extra testing and validation is made. If you want a Dell with Ubuntu 10.04, I am sure you won't be able to get it April 2010, they'll do a lot of testing before, maybe under contract with Canonical.

If that perspective would prevail, they wouldn't be in this situation. They would be running more current software now, which will make the platform age a little more gracefully over the long time span of an LTS.

In any case, I am grateful for their work

Comment

Working...
              X