Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases OpenGL 3.3 Linux Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases OpenGL 3.3 Linux Driver

Well, that didn't take long. Just earlier this month the Khronos Group unveiled the OpenGL 4.0 specification that brought many long-awaited changed to this open graphics API. On the same day this industry consortium also released the OpenGL 3.3 specification, which aims to bring back as much of the OpenGL 4.0 functionality to graphics cards that only support OGL3. OpenGL 4.0 is designed for graphics cards that are meant for DirectX 11.0, which basically means AMD's Radeon HD 5000 series and NVIDIA's forthcoming GeForce 400 series. OpenGL 3.x on the other-hand is compatible with DirectX 10.0 grade hardware, such as the Radeon HD 4000 series and GeForce 200 series. For those with a newer NVIDIA graphics card, you can now run OpenGL 3.3 applications or games as they have just released a supported driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Personally I think they've got their priorities really messed up. They should focus on bugs first and new features second. Why would you need extra new features if you card doesn't work?
    Rob
    email: [email protected]

Comment

NVidia rules, ATI drools

Comment

Again I read about this game engine that works on linux. So what it will take much more to real game support on linux. Probably a desktop market share from around 5% based on the latest news regarding mac and games.

(i'll try to find the link to some article about this... just to bore those tuxes that don't like game talking).

Comment

Found the article:
          Commercial Gaming, Coming Soon to Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            NVidia rules, ATI drools
            Yes! nVidia has an awesome FLOSS driver- oh ehm... no wait...

Comment

Hmm so they've added support for OpenGl 3.3 when the only thing that uses it is an unreleased tech demo (Heaven)

Even the PTS can't benchmark the performance of these new features!

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post
                Personally I think they've got their priorities really messed up. They should focus on bugs first and new features second. Why would you need extra new features if you card doesn't work?
                Which outstanding bugs are stopping all/most/any-notable-percentage of nVidia cards from working?

I don't think it's realistic to ask the 99%+ of owners whose cards work fine to sit idly waiting for new features until nVidia's squashed that one last bug that only affects one line of mobile chips made in 2007. They can work on both.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Yes! nVidia has an awesome FLOSS driver- oh ehm... no wait...
                  Yes! ATI has an awesome FLOSS driver- oh ehm... no wait...

Comment

Yes! ATI has an awesome binary blob- oh ehm... no wait...

It seems ATI right now has pretty much... nothing

Comment

Working...
                    X