Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Launches FirePro V8800 Graphics Card

Phoronix: AMD Launches FirePro V8800 Graphics Card

More than a year ago AMD rolled out the ATI FirePro V8700 workstation graphics card and months later then pushed out the FirePro V8750 as their new ultra high-end graphics card for those engaging in CAD, imaging, and other tasks. Now though AMD has unveiled the FirePro V8800 series that replaces the V8750 for the top spot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix
    AMD has sent out an ATI FirePro V8800 2GB graphics card for Linux testing at Phoronix, but we have yet to receive the sample (hopefully today!) and so benchmarks will be published in the coming days.
    Cool. Maybe you can benchmark it together with the consumer equivalent (HD 5870?). I know already that they crippled glReadPixels performance for consumer cards in the drivers (which makes a ten year old game like System Shock 2 unplayable, thanks a lot ATI!), but who knows what more...

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      Cool. Maybe you can benchmark it together with the consumer equivalent (HD 5870?). I know already that they crippled glReadPixels performance for consumer cards in the drivers (which makes a ten year old game like System Shock 2 unplayable, thanks a lot ATI!), but who knows what more...
      Another reason to destroy all binary drivers, they should disappear fovever.

I think those "workstation" graphics cards are mostly the same shit but using improved "un-crippled" drivers and not much more. It's called market segmentation, something companies like Intel do it very massively (AMD too, but at least a lot less).

Remember Quadro drivers and the resistor mod to Geforce to make them Quadro ones?

Comment

Working...
      X