Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Updates Its Quarterly Package

Phoronix: Intel Updates Its Quarterly Package

With the releases last month of the xf86-video-intel 2.11.0 DDX driver and the Mesa 7.8 graphics stack, Intel has updated its quarterly Linux graphics package in which it recommends versions of several key components for the ideal Intel experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ships with Mesa 7.7.1 since today, but that won't make that big of a difference though.

Comment

Hey Michael,

would it be possible for you to get more informations from Intel about their support (IEGD, psb) for the GMA500 and newer X-servers?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Nogotheg View Post
        would it be possible for you to get more informations from Intel about their support (IEGD, psb) for the GMA500 and newer X-servers?
        Lolwut? It says x server 1.8... Can I borrow your time machine? ^^,

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Lolwut? It says x server 1.8... Can I borrow your time machine? ^^,
          Sorry, perhaps I didn't expressed myself clearly ennough. English isn't my first language :-)

I just wanted to know how Intel's plans for supporting the Poulsbo-GPU in X-servers, more recent than the 1.6 which they are (more or less...) supporting at the moment. Normally OSS-drivers are the easiest way to stay up-to-date. When a company is offering its binary-only drivers as fast as nvidia, you can also update your distributions quite often and keep using their drivers. But the Intel drivers are holding me back getting more recent X-servers, which makes them hard to use (esp. since they aren't the best quality; own experience with psb, heard from others about the IEGD ;-) ).

Hopefully I can now be understood. Thanks for inquiring!

Comment

Yep! Updated to xorg edgers fresh X crack and .33 kernel. It really made a significant difference in performance. 2D is fast and no more sticky, compiz works as it should, 3D is much faster! A pity that U10.04 comes with .32 kernel and an older libdrm2..

Comment

Not sure if Ubuntu 10.04 picked up the entire kernel graphics driver from 2.6.33 or just the ATI bits, but you *might* find that the latest Intel kernel bits are there already and just need the user bits.
              Test signature

Comment

And I need to add that celestia, sauerbraten and neverball work faster than they did with the stock Win7 that came with this notebook which is an eMachines e725 with intel GMA4500MHD (G45).

Comment

I guess that must be a dream, usually Quake Live works much faster using win than linux, did not test your games.

Comment

I guess that must be a dream
                    I didn't test with quake live either, but I recently installed lucid on the laptop and before the Q1 upgrades it was as you said, a dream. But now... if its a dream then don't wake me up

Comment

Working...
                    X