Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Out Compiz By Testing Their 0.9 Version

Phoronix: Help Out Compiz By Testing Their 0.9 Version

Back in March we reported that the release of Compiz 0.9 was finally approaching. The Compiz 0.9.x branch is still developing, but now there is a call-out for testing of this newest compositing manager code by the community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Help Out Compiz By Testing Their 0.9 Version

Back in March we reported that the release of Compiz 0.9 was finally approaching. The Compiz 0.9.x branch is still developing, but now there is a call-out for testing of this newest compositing manager code by the community...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODI1NA
    Anyone knows what Compiz brings that KDE4.x doesn't? I haven't used Compiz since KDE 3.5.x.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
      Anyone knows what Compiz brings that KDE4.x doesn't? I haven't used Compiz since KDE 3.5.x.
      It brings probably the same, but for Gnome too.

Comment

Suggestion for a benchmark article....

Window managers, and especially compositors, have a real impact on graphics performance... I wonder if Michael is up for doing a Phoronix Benchmark suite run for various WM/compositors...

something like Metacity(gnome), KWin(KDE), Mutter (gnome), XFCE (both with and without compositing?), Compiz (old and new?)
        all on the same OS (I suspect ubuntu or fedora have most of these built into the OS already)

Comment

If they want help at testing, they could at least build easy to install packages for major Linux distros.

Comment

PPA anyone?

Comment

still waiting for live ebuilds ...

Comment

PPAs, Debs, RPMs, EBuilds etc are all coming soon. I believe there is already an Arch AUR. Currently, I am trying to get cpack to work so I can build rpms.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
                  Instability.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Instability.
                    for me it's much more stable, feature-rich and resource saving

(it's the only one offering the negative plugin so please make sure it also works with compiz 0.9x & fglrx / catalyst )

Comment

Working...
                    X