Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Continues Updating Its R500 Documentation

Phoronix: AMD Continues Updating Its R500 Documentation

It was over two years ago that AMD first released its R500 3D programming documentation to the general public without any NDAs, which was followed by the R600/700 3D documentation along with older R300-class documents as well. While we have yet to see proper 3D programming documentation for the ATI Radeon HD 5000 "Evergreen" GPUs that were released last year, the R500 3D documentation continues to be revised...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you, AMD. You got at least this one user because of this.

Comment

"Superb" performance? Superb would mean being on par with the binary blobs (or perhaps even a 1 pixel bar registering in a side-by-side PTS benchmark)... but thats details. Always good to hear about AMD's continued open source support. :3

Comment

I may be an evergreen owner, but I'm glad to see that the older cards are still getting some love. It's nice to know I'll still have support when my card is past its prime.

Comment

I am just very excited about getting a free driver! Although I don't have an ATI card its very interesting to follow how this driver grows and how it picks up features and performance. Im dreaming one day I will have HTPC with hardware decoding and maybe even able to play some games (think fusion!) with free drivers

Oh one can dream!

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
            I am just very excited about getting a free driver! Although I don't have an ATI card its very interesting to follow how this driver grows and how it picks up features and performance. Im dreaming one day I will have HTPC with hardware decoding and maybe even able to play some games (think fusion!) with free drivers

Oh one can dream!
            It can be done right now. Get a Broadcom Crystal HD mini pci-e and a pci-e to mini pci-e adapter card if you want such a solution. It's probably going to be the only way to get hardware decoding using a "free" solution for quite a while.

Comment

I'm not expecting much in terms of open support for the dedicated video decoding hardware on any major platform. Unfortunately the things are too DRM-infested.

If ATi keeps their promise and separates the DRM bits out in later hardware, then there is hope for the future, but the existing hardware will likely have to rely on shader-based solutions.

But the shader-based solutions should bring some relief for the CPUs, especially the weaker ones.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                It can be done right now. Get a Broadcom Crystal HD mini pci-e and a pci-e to mini pci-e adapter card if you want such a solution. It's probably going to be the only way to get hardware decoding using a "free" solution for quite a while.
                Unfortunately its not readily available in Denmark yet.. And I also wanted kickass 3D performance!

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  If ATi keeps their promise and separates the DRM bits out in later hardware, then there is hope for the future, but the existing hardware will likely have to rely on shader-based solutions.
                  For clarity, we didn't promise to separate out DRM from decode, just to make sure the issue of useability with open source drivers *was* on the table with future designs and that we did proceed *if* the impact on cost & performance was not prohitive.

In other words we promised to *try*, no more.
                  Test signature

Comment

And, of course, you can neither comment on future products nor on DRM issues, so we won't know whether you succeeded until some UVD14-docs start appearing on amd.com, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X