Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Software Compilation 4.5 RC2 Is Out

Phoronix: KDE Software Compilation 4.5 RC2 Is Out

Version 4.5 of the KDE SC (Software Compilation) is just weeks away from being formally released as the six-month refresh to this multi-platform, open-source desktop stack. KDE SC 4.5 brings a lot of new features and improvements to the table, but if you're too impatient to wait around or want to see that this release comes together nicely, the second release candidate is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE 3 really started to rock around the 3.5 timeframe.

Looks like KDE 4 is maturing in a similar way. Let's hope that the platform remains stable and that the future changes aren't as huge as the re-engineering needed during the Qt3 -> Qt4 transition.

Comment

It seems many of KDE4 crashes were dbus related:

There are some annoying issues and crashes in KDE 4 (and particularly in KRunner and Nepomuk) that are related to the thread-safety (or, rather, thread-non-safety) of libdbus-1.  kde-core-devel has…

I am using Arch and since some dbus updates I had no single KDE application crash!

Comment

KDE4's base tech will remain largely ubchanged for the ten years after the 4.0 release as been said on the launch conference at the Google talks and it is so versatile that unless 3D holographics comes around the corner it will stay the same.

SVG, rotation, OpenGL, compositing, widgets, data engines, OS abstraction... What else do you need, realy?

Comment

I have been using KDE 4.5 since beta 2 and I have had only couple crashes - both were dolphin related so no big deal. So it seems that this is really going to be pretty stable relase. Not that I would have had big problems with earlier relases either.

Comment

RC1 Runing great

I'm running 4.5 since RC 1 and so far it is running great. Only had a few crashes which I reported and all but one got marked as fixed in bugzilla. SO I guess when I install Rc2 all should be more or less fine.

Comment

I guess I was more lucky than others. I'm using 4.5 since RC1 came out (a week or so ago) and didn't have even a single crash. I have that "nepomuk" stuff ("semantic desktop") disabled completely at build time though (Gentoo.)

Comment

So basically, everyone is saying KDE 4.5 RC2 > 4.4.5? I've been hearing about the stability of KDE 4.5 since it's first beta.

Has anyone used both?

Comment

4.5 should be more stable as its RC2 already and more regorious fixed are made. 4.4.5 is just the fifth temporarily bug fix for a temporary code pool. Besides 4.5 is almost done and about to make the 4.4.x obsolete so unless you want to go ahead and compile this for yourself, real who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                    So basically, everyone is saying KDE 4.5 RC2 > 4.4.5? I've been hearing about the stability of KDE 4.5 since it's first beta.

Has anyone used both?
                    I didn't try 4.5 yet, but 4.4.5 is rock stable on my box. Like I said I didn't experience a single crash (maybe just broken dbus caused some crashes before). As KDE devs focused on stability in 4.5 it shouldn't be worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X