Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banshee Music Player Gets Amazon MP3 Support

Phoronix: Banshee Music Player Gets Amazon MP3 Support

Banshee, the open-source media player that's built with Mono and Gtk#, is working towards their 1.8 milestone but today they have put out a new development snapshot. What's special about this new development release, Banshee 1.7.3, is that it adds support for Amazon's MP3 store and brings other enhancements too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Applications mono-dependent ????

No thanks.

Comment

I'm going to wait a bit longer

I installed Banshee last week and it has just been too unreliable. It's laggy, often freezing, uses far too much cpu (though memory use seems lower than my previous attempts to use Banshee), and just feels unweildy. I wish they would quash a lot more bugs b/c I know they've got enough people working on this to fix the above issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post
        Applications mono-dependent ????

No thanks.
        Exactly. Rather then improving Rhythmbox they're making its clone using mono, so they're making it more sluggish same time.

Comment

> Exactly. Rather then improving Rhythmbox they're making its clone using mono, so they're making it more sluggish same time

hmm, banshee is much faster for me than rythmbox, plus rythmbox randomly crashes here o_0

however: w00t! now they only have to implement a on-the-fly mp3 to ogg conversion! or mp3 to flagg.

and for the rhythmbox group: look at the source-code and port the functions over to rythmbox...c# is a really easy language and if you understand c++ or python you shouldn't have any problems with c#

Comment

Can someone tell me if Banshee FINALLY supports sorting by genre?

Comment

Banshee sorts by Genre, has for a long time.

I use Banshee regularly, I like it a lot. (I'm not a anti-mono zealot) If I like an app I use it.

I just installed the 1.7.3 version. Works great (Arch Linux here)

The Amazon MP3 support is a nice feature, something I've wanted in a media player for a while. Seems to work nice.

Comment

Originally posted by sunckell View Post
                Banshee sorts by Genre, has for a long time.

I use Banshee regularly, I like it a lot. (I'm not a anti-mono zealot) If I like an app I use it.
                You're a mono zealot ;P Btw. how's the resource usage when you've got hundreds or thousands songs in collection?

Comment

A mono Zealot? mmmmm could be.

The resource usage is minimal with 4300 songs.

With Banshee there are two things I don't like about it.
                  1. Video playback - don't want it in there, don't like the feel.
                  2. It doesn't pick up and display mp3 devices in the interface all the time. You have to quit- restart banshee to pick devices. ( not sure if that's an Arch thing or not. I did LFS and didn't have that problem.

Here's a shot.

as you can see, not much usage

Comment

Working...
                  X