Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kristian Shows Off GTK+ 3.0 On Wayland

Phoronix: Kristian Shows Off GTK+ 3.0 On Wayland
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I smell awesomeness:
    Pulseaudio
    btrfs
    Gallium driver stack
    Gnome 3
    KDE SC 4.5
    Wayland display server
    Video editors
    VP8

Damn this is getting Good(tm)!
    Now if some deadline missing company would ship an evil drm store

Comment

Yep, a clean, modern, developer-friendly graphics stack is what I'm hoping Linux to get soon.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Now if some deadline missing company would ship an evil drm store
        Mmm... Steam on Linux selling native games would make me happy. I'll still probably keep a Wine copy around for non-native games, but it'd be a huge step up.

Comment

WOW

thumbs up for kristian

Comment

Is it possible for these apps to run on a remote computer and be rendered and usable on a local Wayland server without changing these apps?

Some don't think this feature is useful but others do. That's why we have ssh -X, NX, and even Citrix...

He does mention something about a "home-grown RPC mechanism" that he used instead of DBUS (http://groups.google.com/group/wayla...keds-questions) would it be possible to foward it over a network connection)

Comment

Maybe in 10 more years, the Linux desktop will be comparable with Windows Vista's. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                Is it possible for these apps to run on a remote computer and be rendered and usable on a local Wayland server without changing these apps?

Some don't think this feature is useful but others do. That's why we have ssh -X, NX, and even Citrix...
                ssh -X is wonderful. It's my preferred way of listening to music. Also if DISPLAY is set by hand it's also much more powerful ... like sending messages to a user by xmessage or teasing my girlfriend with xwarppointer drawing things on screen .....

Originally posted by siride View Post
                Maybe in 10 more years, the Linux desktop will be comparable with Windows Vista's. Keep up the good work.
                I think it already is ... I don't know whats there in windows that I would miss in Linux.

Today I wanted Bioshock to run on windows7 and I just realised what an awful lot of quirks happen on windows just trying to play this not too old game.
                Actually on Windows I have more things that annoy me than on linux.
                Windows doesn't give me meaningfull errors, I never know why after the third time installing, it suddenly works, every 10 meters some Programm wants me to accept it's usage contract, since Vista there are those "do you really really really wanna do that"-messages of which nobody actually cares, don't forget the increased amount of advertisements and the higher sluggishness ...can't even install a Programm and download another at the same time beeing able to surf on the internet.

Comment

Another "feature" I like in X compared to Windows, and it seems it could be dropped from Wayland, is that you can drag frozen application windows around the screen in X, and if you open up a save dialog from a maximized text editor, you can still move the text editor's window around to see the desktop. That does not work in Windows, because of client side window management or something.

It seems that Wayland according to the home page will do client side window management (although the developer seems divided if he wants to do client side management now...)

If its possible to have Wayland apps unmodified, rendering (and usable) on remote displays, and not have MS Windows like client side window management, then I might warm up to Wayland a little.

Still there are features in X, like MPX, EWMH, and XDMX to be considered...

Comment

Might be nice for embedded. But with embedded platforms getting more powerful at a huge pace, we don't really seem to need this. There would be more value in efficient drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X