Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New ATI X.Org Driver Has Been Released

Phoronix: A New ATI X.Org Driver Has Been Released

While most of the exciting action for open-source graphics now occurs within the Linux kernel for the DRM and KMS and there is all the work being poured into the 3D side via classic Mesa and Gallium3D drivers, the DDX drivers continue to play a role for 2D acceleration and other X.Org features. AMD's Alex Deucher today has announced the first xf86-video-ati driver update in quite a while and that bumps it to version 6.13.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

tiling

Hello,

The tiling stuff still confuses me. Are there two tiling implementations for 2D and 3D or do I need this updated '2D-driver' to get the tiling support in Mesa? I thought the shared parts are in the DRM drivers and the xf86 and the mesa drivers are completely independent, but I am not sure if I got this right.

Comment

i have tons of segfaults on OSS drivers last time...cant even open glxinfos... need to get back to FGLRX

Comment

Does anyone know if or when the evergreen_accel will be merged into master for xf86-video-ati ?

I believe it's the last "exotic" branch you have to pull in order to get a working 3D capable evergreen Linux set up.

Since mesa now has somewhat good support for evergreen (both in r600c and r600g) I wonder why that code live outside the master and wasn't released with this driver issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Xheyther View Post
          Does anyone know if or when the evergreen_accel will be merged into master for xf86-video-ati ?

I believe it's the last "exotic" branch you have to pull in order to get a working 3D capable evergreen Linux set up.

Since mesa now has somewhat good support for evergreen (both in r600c and r600g) I wonder why that code live outside the master and wasn't released with this driver issue.
          The plan was to merge evergreen_accel after the release and therefore, evergreen_accel branch should be merged soon.

Comment

Just a crazy thought:
            It would be interesting to try out e.g. Unigine Heaven (or BFBC2) in D3D11 mode through WINE on Evergreen (when Mesa 7.9 is released).

Comment

Originally posted by meklu View Post
              Just a crazy thought:
              It would be interesting to try out e.g. Unigine Heaven (or BFBC2) in D3D11 mode through WINE on Evergreen (when Mesa 7.9 is released).
              Just a crazy thought:
              Being able to try out Unigine Heaven. <- period

(NB: using open drivers, that is)

Comment

Originally posted by quintesse View Post
                Just a crazy thought:
                Being able to try out Unigine Heaven. <- period

It would be quite ironic if we could run it in D3D mode before OGL. <- period

Comment

Not seeing any perf difference here compared to 6.13.1, gtkperf is identical. Then again my kernel is not new enough for the r700 tiling, maybe EXA can now use that.

Comment

AFAIK you need new bits all round for tiling to work.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X