Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualBox 3.2.10 Released To Fix Regressions

Phoronix: VirtualBox 3.2.10 Released To Fix Regressions

It's been two months since the last VirtualBox 3.2.x point release arrived (VirtualBox 3.2.8) and five months have passed since VirtualBox 3.2 was introduced. There's no signs yet of version 3.3 for Oracle's VirtualBox with no stable or development releases being on the horizon, however, today VirtualBox 3.2.10 has been pushed out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Goodstuff. KVM and Qemu are always much more interesting, but I still enjoy the ease of VirtualBox.

I have a feeling though that just about all open-source Oracle projects are sooner or later going to either die or be forked due to Oracle's general apathy and cluelessness with regards to free software. I never realized how much I relied upon Sun prior to them being taken over. (in fact, with the exception of OpenSolaris, I have installed and use just about every one of their major technologies daily.) Hopefully eventually most of my software will support a Postgres backend, KVM/Qemu will make VirtualBox unnecessary, and either "libreoffice" will have become well established, or koffice becomes a viable alternative. Already running IcedTea JDK.

Comment

VirtualBox has far too many bugs in it as it is and the rate at which Sun Microsystems was adding features only served to make it worse. Taking some time to focus on bug squashing is a good idea. I hope that Oracle aggressively pursues this for at least a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
        VirtualBox has far too many bugs in it as it is and the rate at which Sun Microsystems was adding features only served to make it worse. Taking some time to focus on bug squashing is a good idea. I hope that Oracle aggressively pursues this for at least a year.
        I agree. VirtualBox since 3.2.0 has become a software full of bugs around. My company still relies on it but I'm starting to think to do a real migration to KVM.

I'm also not an Oracle fan and I also believe that they will somehow kill VirtualBox. I'm not sure how, but they will do it soon or later.

This said, VirtualBox as of now is the easiest cross plaftorm vm software to get working and has good performance.
        Hopefully:
        1: Oracle will fix all bugs instead of introducing new features
        2: Oracle will not kill and continue developing vbox in a serious way

That's my 5 cents on it.

Comment

All this talk about Oracle killing open sourced projects. Which projects have Oracle actually killed? I dont know any.

(OpenSolaris (the beta of Solaris 11) has changed name to the old Solaris 11 Express, out in a couple of months. Earlier, OpenSolaris was named Solaris Express, and then killed, and renamed to OpenSolaris. Now the old name is revived again)

Comment

Working...
          X