Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Now Supports Overclocking Your GPU

Phoronix: Nouveau Now Supports Overclocking Your GPU

While the Nouveau driver may not yet have a stable Gallium3D or DDX driver release nor does it have capabilities like stabilized power management or OpenGL 3.x, if you want to overclock your NVIDIA graphics card with this open-source driver, you can now do so today. Martin Peres who has been working on Nouveau power management support and timing management, has produced a patch to support custom clock manipulation of the NVIDIA graphics card's core clock, memory clock, and shader clock speeds. The voltages can also be manipulated too whether you are manually overclocking or underclocking your GPU with this Linux kernel DRM driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is nice and stuff, but, a heavily overclocked GTX 580 running in nouveau will play 3D games slower than a 8500GT in Binary driver, so that's a moot point at best, or waste of Earth's energy.

Comment

It's used to test the nouveau drivers. Now the nouveau guys can test the performance of their driver compared to the performance of the "card"

Comment

I want such things inside the kernel! maybe it's not useful yet but open source is about choice so I want the choice to fry my entire hardware.
        And you can do very very useful things with this. I can get an hour of extra battery-life out of my laptop thanks to phc. It's a shame kernel devs are against such things.

I'm still waiting for controllable fan support in nouveau cause without this my graphics-card is unbearable.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
          It is nice and stuff, but, a heavily overclocked GTX 580 running in nouveau will play 3D games slower than a 8500GT in Binary driver, so that's a moot point at best, or waste of Earth's energy.
          A heavily overclocked GTX 580 will melt your pc, your floor, down to the earth's core, and will produce nuclear waste

Comment

Hmm, I would like to add some info.

The comment about nv84 and nv86 is about another patch I haven't released yet, I'm still working on stabilizing it and make it regression-free (ie, not break cards that used to kind of work if the stars were aligned properly).

While profiles are great, most people want dynamic power management. This is something I would like to add but there is a lot of Reverse Engineering to be done first.

Ragas: Fan control may already be there, you can PM me or come on #nouveau. Anyway, two people are working on that (temperature and fan management). Anyway, if the support is not here yet, I have some things I would like you to test

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
              You obviously didn't read the article. The patch is by a company that specialized on using GPUs for general purpose computing, not games.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                You obviously didn't read the article. The patch is by a company that specialized on using GPUs for general purpose computing, not games.
                Actually, I'm not from PathScale, I'm just an CS student. I'm just helping them where I can.

This patch was first made for reverse engineering/debugging purpose. It also allows people to overclock their card, but it is more of a side effect

You can use this patch for improving the FPS rate, but don't expect too much of it, the gallium driver seems to have a serious bottleneck which makes overclocking on my computer pretty useless (62 -> 73 fps in openarena). It is already being worked on.

Comment

Well, you may still wish to downclock to let the card produce less nuclear waste...

Comment

Working...
                  X