Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is Cool: An HTML5 Back-End For GTK3

Phoronix: This Is Cool: An HTML5 Back-End For GTK3

Version 3.0 of GTK+ that is set for introduction with GNOME 3.0 already boasts a bold feature set. GTK+ 3.0 is less dependent on X11 (meaning it can work with Wayland and better support on Mac OS X, etc), provides X Input 2 support, uses Cairo more for drawing, eliminates DirectFB support, and boasts cleaner rendering. A new feature though for GTK+3 is being worked on and its quite interesting: an HTML back-end that allows GTK applications to run natively within a HTML5 web-browser off a web server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

aww, I was hoping for some mapping of layouts and form elements to native html5-elements + autogenerated javascript.

This is basically "vnc on your webbrowser". A bit more efficient because image-data can be grabbed earlier and smarter, a bit less flexible because it's limited to a single app without a window-manager and cannot use GPU rendering.

Cute toy, but I don't see it becoming more than that. Apparently, neither does the author

Comment

Yes that's what I thought, too. But it's a start...

Comment

something like that would be cool if it could move further down the stack ie make wayland (and with it all the toolkits) accessible from a browser

but i have no idea if this is feasible or possible

Comment

Somebody says Google Chrome OS

Wow, this are very good notices,GTK apps will be run natively in Google Chrome OS

Comment

If you abstracted the code a bit (maybe you don't even need to do that) you could probably create a client that could interface with it from outside of a web browser. I don't see why not, anyway.

Comment

Yeah if Gtk would abstract, it could do html5 and Windows. It would be cool if Qt and Gtk would then work nicely together and over athe network by means of a FreeDesktops.org colaboration

Comment

Wayland networking using this?

This could easily replace X networking and finally put a last nail to X coffin.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
                  There sure is great potential here.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
                    Precisely. With all the Wayland discussions, there's been that big hole - how to provide network transparency for those of us who actually need it. And while rendering to an HTML canvas is a bit of a gimmick, it does demonstrate that providing a network-transparent backend to gtk+ is quite feasible.

Comment

Working...
                    X