Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Is Getting Ready For Ubuntu 11.04

Phoronix: LibreOffice Is Getting Ready For Ubuntu 11.04

We've known that Canonical has been looking at LibreOffice replacing OpenOffice.org within Ubuntu and it looks like this packaging work is indeed materializing for the forthcoming Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just to be pedantic, it sounds more like Ubuntu is getting ready for a libreoffice release, not the other way around.
    Good to see this starting to filter into distros though - anyone have any info for others (fedora, arch, etc)? I've not had enough free time to try it out under gentoo yet.

Comment

"while the name isn't the best..."
      It sure sounds better than "Michael"! Besides, whatever you call it, LibreOffice doesn't make lame attempts at forcing its taste up my throat.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
        Good to see this starting to filter into distros though - anyone have any info for others (fedora, arch, etc)?
        LibreOffice can already be installed from Extra repository on Arch Linux.

Comment

openSUSE has had it in their repos since October.

Comment

Is anyone working on a native gtk frontend to libre/openoffice?

Comment

What do you mean by "native gtk frontend"?

LibreOffice will probably always use VCL internally, but it has GTK and Qt frontends for native integration where needed.

Much like Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by kirillkh View Post
                "while the name isn't the best..."
                It sure sounds better than "Michael"! Besides, whatever you call it, LibreOffice doesn't make lame attempts at forcing its taste up my throat.
                I agree. This whole personal opinion injected in to every second post at Phoronix has seriously polarised my opinion of Phoronix news. I read the posts and rss feeds for linux-related information. Phoronix does a great job of tracking lots of relevant (although mostly gfx/cpu-related nowadays) not-so-newsworthy stuff.

I stopped subscribing to premium because I felt sick paying for the volume of opinions in recent articles. Especially in lieu of getting better news elsewhere, like lwn.net. I still read Phoronix, but with adverts (hey, everyone deserves a crust).

If I want personal opinions, I'll read the forums.

P.S. Does someone occassionaly post under Michaels name? Sometimes the English is so bad as to sound Indian! Or maybe he just works to hard =D
                Hi

Comment

Cool. Something happens in the Linux world and Bunubnut gets the publicity...Even though, as one guy stated, it has been in other distros earlier...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr James View Post
                    Cool. Something happens in the Linux world and Bunubnut gets the publicity...Even though, as one guy stated, it has been in other distros earlier...
                    As much as I don't want to fill the thread with this kind of sentiment...yes, it's true that Phoronix has a hard on for ubuntu. It's actually the secret reason I asked about other distros - to start some talk on where libreoffice is in other distros.

Comment

Working...
                    X