Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Will Work On Better Linux Timing For Ivy Bridge

Phoronix: Intel Will Work On Better Linux Timing For Ivy Bridge

It was just midnight yesterday when the press embargo covering Intel's Sandy Bridge micro-architecture with their new Core i3/i5/i7 and H67/P67 chipsets expired. While at Phoronix we have known how Sandy Bridge would work with Linux, the lack of "out of the box" support for the next-generation Intel graphics under Linux or an easy-to-use way to deploy the open-source drivers on existing distributions caused a bit of an uproar by other journalists. Well, more like a big uproar by others...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Adding the xorg-edgers ppa + newer kernel to an Ubuntu Maverick install should be quite straightforward, kindof like downloading and installing drivers in Windows.

Comment

So with Zacate and Ontario now being available can we expect a big write up on why they have no support yet in linux as well?

Comment

I think deanjo was poking fun at the Sandy Bridge articles. Intel had SB support upstream at launch time but still got criticized because the code was not generally available in distros yet.
        Test signature

Comment

Hit the edit limit, did you guess ?

We might get the same criticism on the new Fusion parts, or we might get lucky and miss the criticism because we have downloadable binary drivers as well.

No I don't know which Catalyst release will include Ontario / Zacate support.

Yes I will ask
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I think deanjo was poking fun at the Sandy Bridge articles.
            Indeed it was, to expect support in distro releases that came before the release of the product launch was blown out of proportion IMHO but alas I guess that's what you get when you sit beside someone like Charlie while typing up an article.

Comment

Hit the edit limit, did you guess ?

We might get the same criticism on the new Fusion parts, or we might get lucky and miss the criticism because we have downloadable binary drivers as well.

No I don't know which Catalyst release will include Ontario / Zacate support.

Yes I will ask

I already asked Charlie... If he can easily install the blob he won't complain.

P.S. AMD PR seems to forget who you are... At the AMD party right now and asked Raymond if he knew John Bridgman and he said to the effect of "I am sure someone at AMD knows him" and I said "well I hope so as he leads your open source stuff"

Michael (dont have my latest password on iPhone so under this accoun)

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                I already asked Charlie... If he can easily install the blob he won't complain.
                lol, typical Charlie. He will bitch that he can't use a new intel solution out of the box that came after a distros release but will give a thumbs up if he has to download a blob and install it.

Comment

P.S. AMD PR seems to forget who you are... At the AMD party right now and asked Raymond if he knew John Bridgman and he said to the effect of "I am sure someone at AMD knows him" and I said "well I hope so as he leads your open source stuff"
                  Oh well... these things happen. Say hi to Raymond for me
                  Test signature

Comment

Oh well... these things happen. Say hi to Raymond for me
                    Met another guy from worldwide marketing who had no idea (but was also unfamiliar with phoronix) but now working on finding Chris Schlaeger per Matthew's recommendation. But right now there is the "AMD comedy show" right now....

Note to everyone else: xvba news tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                    X