Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will The Catalyst Driver Work On Ubuntu 11.04 At Launch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will The Catalyst Driver Work On Ubuntu 11.04 At Launch?

Phoronix: Will The Catalyst Driver Work On Ubuntu 11.04 At Launch?

For the past few years there's been a tradition where AMD supplies Canonical with an early snapshot of their very latest Catalyst driver prior to the next Ubuntu release. This hasn't been done to ensure Ubuntu ships with any magical graphics driver features (in some cases though it can provide a glimpse of what's to come), but rather is provided so that there is actually a Catalyst driver that works on the given Ubuntu Linux release. There's an unfortunate tradition where by the time the next Ubuntu release rolls out that the latest publicly available Catalyst driver does not support either the latest Linux kernel and/or the X.Org Server used by that release. The Catalyst snapshot provides that belated support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As always there will be special ATI driver that works "most of the time".And that means headaches for me as a Blender Artist and a programmer.That means i will probably miss my deadline for my end of semester work that I have to present to my professor,luckily most of my tools are CAD or Xilinx type programs which are annoying in there own way.Anyone who has used Xilinx knows this. But good luck to OSS team and Ati proprietary team for this extra work to make my life a little bit better every month.

Comment

What?

>> Will The Catalyst Driver Work On Ubuntu 11.04 At Launch?

It's January. Natty is still in Alpha 1. Is there any point in wondering about this right now, or is this false drama that will be long dead come three months from now?

Comment

I think you mean Catalyst 11.2 and 11.3
        I know you're an extremely busy workaholic, but you should read over your article before you post it.

Comment

AMD could you please at least support the kernel and Xorg in Fedora. Ubuntu is cool and all, but it'd be nice if you didn't exclude everyone who uses Fedora and other systems with slightly newer kernels and X servers. Nvidia does this with no problem.
          Also please stop waiting until the last minute to even support the ancient components in Ubuntu.
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
            AMD could you please at least support the kernel and Xorg in Fedora. Ubuntu is cool and all, but it'd be nice if you didn't exclude everyone who uses Fedora and other systems with slightly newer kernels and X servers.
            Red Hat said Ferora is not a priority and its well known that AMD Support Distributions and not single components.

Comment

When i read nvnews forum correctly then not only ati needs to update the drivers. Even the latest 270.18 with xserver 1.10 support in the changelog seems to need still abi overrides. But when U gets a new driver again they should publish the run installer too - at least as hotfix driver. Of course the rest of the Linux world could fetch the orig.tar.gz file, but that has not the original layout of the installer. This way it is really bad to write a generic script to install the latest driver - you would need to fetch 2 drivers to get all needed data and combine those - basically a stupid effort when there IS a run installer...

Comment

Huh?

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                Red Hat said Ferora is not a priority and its well known that AMD Support Distributions and not single components.
                What do Red Hat's priorities have to do with what distros AMD decides to support?

The fact is, supporting Fedora means you're also supporting the vast majority of Linux distros, even if it isn't official. The same can't always be said of just supporting Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  What do Red Hat's priorities have to do with what distros AMD decides to support?
                  On the contrary, Red Hat is one of the officially supported distros, so it has everything to do with what AMD decides to support.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    On the contrary, Red Hat is one of the officially supported distros, so it has everything to do with what AMD decides to support.
                    Sorry, i still don't get it. Does Red Hat give AMD orders on what to support? Is it not their decision?

Comment

Working...
                    X