Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Is Using X.Org Server 1.9

Phoronix: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Is Using X.Org Server 1.9

Last August we reported that Apple's lead X.Org engineer, Jeremy Huddleston, had stepped up to take over stable release management of the X.Org Server 1.9 series. The assumption was that Apple was planning to make X.Org Server 1.9.x available within their forthcoming Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" operating system rather than the old X.Org Server 1.4 found with Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard". After trying out the latest Mac OS X 10.7 build, this is indeed the case...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what's Apple's strategy about X in the long term since on Linux it's gonna be deprecated by Wayland in the next few years:

1) Apple will continue using X for many years to come
    2) Apple will adopt Wayland when it's stable enough
    3) Apple will create something new and shiny from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      I wonder what's Apple's strategy about X in the long term since on Linux it's gonna be deprecated by Wayland in the next few years:

2) Apple will adopt Wayland when it's stable enough
      3) Apple will create something new and shiny from scratch.
      wayland is only going to be used for improved integration of frames, 3d effects and such. It will probably never have all the features X has.

i think X will always be there for those that need it.

Comment

Afaik the mid and long term goal is to replace X completely. Shipping both of them installed by default in the next few years is a stopgap solution until Wayland is mature enough, from then on X will go down the dnotify and LinuxThreads road.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          From what I understand, OS X only uses Xorg for compatibility with non-OS X native applications. Native apps use a different rendering mechanism, something like (but not identical to) Wayland.

Comment

It looks like you're right. I thought Apple's Quartz is a heavily modified X.

Then all the more reasons to get rid of X since both OS X and vista/7 graphics layers are already reworked to match the modern reality and Linux is the only and last desktop player (which matters to me) who hasn't made the transition yet.

Comment

Working...
            X