Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kanotix Hellfire 2011-03 Linux Released

Phoronix: Kanotix Hellfire 2011-03 Linux Released

Kano, a well known member of the Phoronix community, has just released his Kanotix "Hellfire" 2011-03 German Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Using a really new and not even final release of the linux kernel and yet using a somewhat outdated version of KDE and Amarok seems a bit backwards to me. I mean using an older, tried and tested, version of KDE says to me that they're looking for stability and yet they're using a bleeding edge pre-release kernel. I would think the kernel is where you'd want to make sure you're using something tested, tried and true. Or is there something in terms of hardware support in 2.6.38 that's desperately needed?

Not trying to hate on the distro I'm just curious because the mix of packages seems a bit weird to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
      Using a really new and not even final release of the linux kernel and yet using a somewhat outdated version of KDE and Amarok seems a bit backwards to me. I mean using an older, tried and tested, version of KDE says to me that they're looking for stability and yet they're using a bleeding edge pre-release kernel. I would think the kernel is where you'd want to make sure you're using something tested, tried and true. Or is there something in terms of hardware support in 2.6.38 that's desperately needed?

Not trying to hate on the distro I'm just curious because the mix of packages seems a bit weird to me.
      One of the consequences of Kernel Modesetting for GPUs is that either having a new-ish kernel or backporting the graphics kernel drivers to an older kernel has become really important.
      Test signature

Comment

A small question:

Greetings,

I'd like to ask Kano if I can put his distro in a pen drive using Unetbootin (like *buntus), or do I need a "dd"-based program to do it...?

Cheers

Comment

KDE 4.4.5 and Amarok 2.0? Why?

Comment

The news is incorrect, of course Amarok 2.4.0 is included. Even with a small extra patch, that fixes mute/unmute using win+m shortcut. I certainly know, that the kernel is not final, but CeBIT is now and i wanted to release in time for that. It is very easy to update the kernel, if you prefer pure kernels you can even install the U mainline kernels with a script. I can update it any time if it is needed, no problem.

In case that you don't get X but a konsole, you can try:

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart

That's a live mode only problem (usually). I am not fully sure what causes this, if somebody has got an idea how to fix would be great.

One simple tool to write the iso image 1:1 onto usb stick is:

Or if you prefer a stick with fat32 format (or want persistent overlay) you can use:

or

Both scripts wipe out the data and partition the stick with 1mb alignment - for optimal write performance. cfdisk may fail with such a layout however, but is is definitely correct. Disable automounters for all scripts, that will corrupt data. To verify correctness you can use

cd /live/image

md5sum -c md5sum.txt

or wherever you mount your stick when you don't boot it like /media/KANOTIX. with image-writer all files will be Ok when correct, the other scripts modifiy some configfiles - those are not important, just the huge filesystem.squashfs should be correct.

Comment

Working...
            X