Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype 2.2 Beta For Linux Released

Phoronix: Skype 2.2 Beta For Linux Released

Two weeks ago I shared with my Twitter followers that a Skype Linux announcement would be coming soon. Today, one of the Skype Linux announcements has happened: a new beta with new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Actually...

Actually, Skype Access IS a killer feature, especially if you fly/travel a lot.

Comment

great to see activity.
      I honestly don't care for skype, although I would probably use it if it were up to par with its windows release.
      hopefully there's more to come, however I would love to see some developments in that open-source p2p based telephony service mentioned a while ago.

Comment

I wish they would release a native 64-bit version. The 32-bit package for 64-bit linux is quite ugly, IMHO.

Comment

a new skype beta! thats like the linux equivalent of duke nukem forever right?

Comment

We all know why suddenly ― ages after ― Skype leaves a shiny beta for GNU/Linux

I just hope GNU Free Call rises quickly, that's the only thing managing Skype's inertia.

Comment

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
              I honestly don't care for skype, although I would probably use it if it were up to par with its windows release.
              IMO, Skype for Linux is better than Skype for Windows. It has all the essential features and none of the clutter. It even has a feature that is missing from Windows (or I cannot find it) - when you hover over a contact it show the last time a person has been seen online. It integrates well in KDE. It just works!

I'd love to use an open source messaging client but all my family and friends are on Skype. Some time ago there was an announcement from Skype about shipping just a library that can be used to integrate it in other messaging clients. But nothing has happened since then, so I'm not optimistic.

Comment

Skype for Linux is dead. The last beta released has not been updated for more than a year and I abandoned it for better alternatives such as SIP VoIP

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                  I wish they would release a native 64-bit version. The 32-bit package for 64-bit linux is quite ugly, IMHO.
                  I agree. Even Adobe provides a 64 bit flash client. Even "Java" plugin... What about Skype? How many years would it take to provide a 64 bit native binary?

Comment

Working...
                  X