Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Look For SystemD On Ubuntu Anytime Soon

Phoronix: Don't Look For SystemD On Ubuntu Anytime Soon

There's a lot happening on the ground in Budapest for the 11.10 Ubuntu Developer Summit. I've been tweeting a bit and will have more information later on published on Phoronix. One discussion though that's also been taking place on the Ubuntu developer mailing list has been about the use of systemd as the init system in Ubuntu or there the lack of...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"there the lack of."?!!! seriously?

Comment

Why the hell would they want to use SystemD on Ubuntu? Upstart is perfectly fine. Upstart is also optimized well and polished. See, this bothers me. Just because SystemD is newer, doesn't mean it is better. Also, why change what isn't broken (looks at Ubuntu Unity and Gnome 3)?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
        Why the hell would they want to use SystemD on Ubuntu? Upstart is perfectly fine. Upstart is also optimized well and polished. See, this bothers me. Just because SystemD is newer, doesn't mean it is better. Also, why change what isn't broken (looks at Ubuntu Unity and Gnome 3)?
        The feature list of sysd looked pretty impressive over upstart. Will be interesting to see it in action in Fedora 15.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
          The feature list of sysd looked pretty impressive over upstart. Will be interesting to see it in action in Fedora 15.
          Still though, Upstart is polished and well tested. Where as SystemD is brand new and I am going to guess fairly untested. It is odd... With open source, people tend not to upgrade existing software and instead write entirely new software plus whatever upgrade... XD

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            Still though, Upstart is polished and well tested. Where as SystemD is brand new and I am going to guess fairly untested. It is odd... With open source, people tend not to upgrade existing software and instead write entirely new software plus whatever upgrade... XD
            systemd was born about a year and a half back and has been already through the development cycle of Fedora 14 (originally planned to be default there) and now in Fedora 15, it is the default. It is pretty thoroughly tested. While I wouldn't claim systemd is perfect and bug free, stability isn't a real concern. Ubuntu might want to take it slow because of their investment in upstart and potential migration issues and that is certainly a valid reason to do so.

Comment

No great loss in my opinion -- at least at this point. I've played with systemd on my netbook (running Debian Unstable) and see no significant gains over Upstart in boot time.

I did like the tools in systemd though.

Comment

Originally posted by amphigory View Post
                No great loss in my opinion -- at least at this point. I've played with systemd on my netbook (running Debian Unstable) and see no significant gains over Upstart in boot time.

I did like the tools in systemd though.
                I'd love to hear more about what you like about systemd tools in comparison with Upstart. Especially because improved Upstart tools for system administrators is a topic at UDS this week (this Wednesday):

Upstart needs better management tools for system administrators. Override files are a good start (and can do much more than just disable services), but we should provide a CLI tool for common tasks like enabling/disabling services and listing what is set to start up on boot. A CLI tool like chkconfig and/or an ncurses tool like sysv-rc-conf are good comparisons. Is there interest in jobs-admin GUI tool (https://launchpad.net/jobsadmin)? The author has also considered a CLI/ncurses interfa...

Comment

lfs

I think I'll build a Linux from scratch before i use an rpm based system. too bad, fedora tends to have the newest stuff first.

Comment

SystemD is more efficient than Upstart and has more features. The only problem is mostly lack of time.

Comment

Working...
                    X