Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Month Until The X.Org Meeting In Chicago

Phoronix: One Month Until The X.Org Meeting In Chicago

We're now just one month away from the 2011 X.Org Developers' Conference (XDC2011) that's being hosted in Chicago, Illinois, United States...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I the only one who gets the feeling that the mid and long term development of Xorg doesn't matter much anymore since Wayland is (certainly) set to take over within a few years?

Comment

It's going to be a long time before x.org goes away even with Wayland in the fast track to replace it

also all the effort put into different areas of the stack (such as mesa and the drm kernel drivers) all help wayland too

Comment

A long time means different things to different people. To me like 4 years isn't that long. And I'm quite hopeful that in 2 years from now I'll already be running Wayland by default. The open source video drivers should be quite good by then to use them in case Nvidia & AMD don't yet support Wayland (but they don't really have a choice, besides, it's also in their interest to move to Wayland).

Comment

Working...
        X