Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Installer Of FreeBSD 9.0

Phoronix: The New Installer Of FreeBSD 9.0

FreeBSD 9.0 Beta 2 was officially released yesterday, about one month's late, but it comes with several new features. One of the new features to FreeBSD 9.0 is a new installer (pc-sysinstall) for this BSD operating system, which the developers have requested that it be put through its paces...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tried it out last night

I spent some time late last night giving rc2 a try. The new installer is more user friendly than the old sysinstall, although it seems that sysinstall is still there if you want to use it. Post-installation install of binary packages looks like will still be done using sysinstall unless they modify pc-sysinstall (bsdinstall) to do that. One thing I couldn't figure out however was using the new installer to install onto zfs. I was installing to a disk partition instead of a whole disk, so maybe that's why. Anyways seems to work pretty well. I did have an issue with the installer thinking a partition I deleted still existed when it went to format, but was unable to reproduce the issue on a consistent basis. Will need to do a bit more testing to figure that one out. Overall it's looking quite nice, looking forward to the finished release.

Comment

I used the Gentoo way, the last time I installed FreeBSD: prepare the harddrive, download the FreeBSD-base release, run install.sh, install.sh in the kernel folder, chroot, install bootloader, add users and some configuration, reboot

The rest are ports anyway...

Comment

This new installer is a lot more straight forward, but I do love sysinstall.

Comment

Working...
        X