Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Radeon Drivers Are On Their Deathbed

Phoronix: Classic Radeon Drivers Are On Their Deathbed

The classic Mesa Radeon (R300/R600) drivers that provide open-source OpenGL support on Linux instead of the Gallium3D alternatives are likely to be dropped in the coming days...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As far as I undersand radeon and r200 will remain, right? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
      Correct! Because "radeon" and "r200" are not supported by gallium. Thus there is only the classic driver to provide 3D support to them. =)

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
        I still use an r200 chip, so seeing this headline made me shudder. I had largely the same question you did.

But the radeon driver has been updated. It's just not Gallium3d.

Update the radeon r100/r200 3D drivers to work with kernel modesetting and DRI2.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
          Update the radeon r100/r200 3D drivers to work with kernel modesetting and DRI2.
          They don't already? http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

Comment

Originally posted by Wubbbi View Post
            Correct! Because "radeon" and "r200" are not supported by gallium. Thus there is only the classic driver to provide 3D support to them. =)
            This is a horribly confusing response.

R100 and R200 are supported by classic style drivers. In those drivers, there is the DRI1 code paths and DRI2. DRI2 requires TTM and Kernel Modesetting.

R300 and R600 are supported by both classic and Gallium drivers. In their classic drivers, again, there are DRI1 and DRI2 paths.

Eric suggested removing the DRI1 support from the R100 and R200 drivers. Alex and Dave mentioned going ahead and removing the R300 and R600 classic drivers (both DRI1 and DRI2 paths) at the same time, but leaving the R100 and R200 DRI2 classic paths in place.

Comment

This would not only hurt Solaris and BSD, this would also hurt PPC where KMS still causes trouble (fdo bugs 30227, 37169, some more reports in Gentoo bugtracker/forums).

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                This would not only hurt Solaris and BSD, this would also hurt PPC where KMS still causes trouble (fdo bugs 30227, 37169, some more reports in Gentoo bugtracker/forums).
                If slowlaris or bsd crowd cares they should do something about this. It's such simple.

Comment

Since according to the article ther isn't much work done to that drivers anyway what's the harm for them to simply package the current mesa? Or fork it?

Comment

(fdo bugs 30227, 37169, some more reports in Gentoo bugtracker/forums).
                    I dont think that the Gentoo bugtracker/forum are an good place for mesa/driver bugs

Comment

Working...
                    X