Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Announces Plans For Expansion

Phoronix: Unigine Announces Plans For Expansion

Unigine Corp is announcing this morning they are expanding in a big way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still wish it was possible to get a good preview of their actual tech rather than just their graphics. Couldn't care less how pretty some custom-tailored demos are. Only care about how easy it is to take their engine and build something with it ourselves. What are their API's like? What is their editor like? What is their scripting language? What kind of distribution/bundling features are included? Networking engine features? etc. Their site is pretty awful compared to something like Unity3D's, and they don't have a nice preview version of their toolkit for evaluation.

Soon as anyone can actually investigate Unigine itself rather than just their demos, then and only then will Unigine become interesting. They have like 3 games using it and almost no mindshare because their marketing tactics are based on id's, which are themselves based on "we're id" and not any kind of sane practice that applies to a company without such a legendary history.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      Still wish it was possible to get a good preview of their actual tech rather than just their graphics. Couldn't care less how pretty some custom-tailored demos are. Only care about how easy it is to take their engine and build something with it ourselves. What are their API's like? What is their editor like? What is their scripting language? What kind of distribution/bundling features are included? Networking engine features? etc. Their site is pretty awful compared to something like Unity3D's, and they don't have a nice preview version of their toolkit for evaluation.

Soon as anyone can actually investigate Unigine itself rather than just their demos, then and only then will Unigine become interesting. They have like 3 games using it and almost no mindshare because their marketing tactics are based on id's, which are themselves based on "we're id" and not any kind of sane practice that applies to a company without such a legendary history.
      Your information is out of date.
      Their site looks fine: http://unigine.com/
      They have a free evaluation copy here: http://unigine.com/evalkit/

Comment

Your information is out of date.
        Their site looks great now and they have a free evaluation copy here: http://unigine.com/evalkit/

Comment

Still wish it was possible to get a good preview of their actual tech rather than just their graphics. Couldn't care less how pretty some custom-tailored demos are. Only care about how easy it is to take their engine and build something with it ourselves. What are their API's like?
          What is their editor like?
          Fairly basic compared to what Crysis/Unreal engines offer. Currently implemented in the game engine itself so it runs the same on all platforms that Unigine supports. Work is currently underway to extend the editor using Qt (so that windows can be moved outside the main window. It's usable in it's current state and should get a lot better in the next few months.

What is their scripting language?
          They use a custom scripting language called Uniginescript. It is basically an interpreted version of C++ (you can develop it effectively inside a C++ IDE). It also has features typical of a higher level language.

What kind of distribution/bundling features are included?
          None that I am aware of. I think there are some steam integration features coming and possibly some things related to the apple and android stores.

Networking engine features?
          I am under the impression that Unigine uses RakNet though I don't currently know all the details of this.

Their site is pretty awful compared to something like Unity3D's, and they don't have a nice preview version of their toolkit for evaluation.
          They do but you have to contact them and ask for it (there is a form on the website for that under engine->evaluation kit). I know this sets up a psychological barrier but they are quite easy people to deal with.

Soon as anyone can actually investigate Unigine itself rather than just their demos, then and only then will Unigine become interesting.
          Well if you have any further questions I would be happy to answer. Also a few members on the Unigine team do respond to comments posted here. If you are seriously interested in the engine I urge you to request an evaluation kit.

They have like 3 games using it and almost no mindshare because their marketing tactics are based on id's, which are themselves based on "we're id" and not any kind of sane practice that applies to a company without such a legendary history.
          I am not aware of any released games that use Unigine. Oilrush is the closest to being complete. I think once a few successful games are out in the wild - things might get easier. I don't think Id are still in the business of making game engines to sell to third parties (not since Bethesda bought them out) but what you said could just as well apply to epic. My company uses Unigine for Architectural Visualisation and we have completed several dozen projects using the engine.

Comment

Feature overview:
            Real-time 3D engine / VR platform for Simulation & Training, 3D Digital Twins, CAD, BIM, GIS. 3D graphics and physics library for С++ and C# developers.

Big feature list:
            Real-time 3D engine / VR platform for Simulation & Training, 3D Digital Twins, CAD, BIM, GIS. 3D graphics and physics library for С++ and C# developers.

Products made with Unigine (Including released games like Petshop, MMT Online, Syndicates of Arkon):

The eval version:

BUT(!):
            "Please take into the account that we provide the Evaluation Kit only to companies working on commercial projects."

I already asked but I'm not a company nor work for one and I currently don't make commercial projects so I weren't given an eval.
            It's kind of fair: why should I get an eval when I wont might buy a license.
            But if you fulfill those requirements you definitely should talk to those guys. They are nice and cooperative.

Following the Unigine-engine winners (http://unigine.com/press-releases/101213-linux-winners/) currently only MED_ART (http://www.med-art.info/2011/04/19/u...project-start/) is doing something with it. And as I read according to:

KOT in Action won't do something with it. To bad...

Comment

Working...
            X