Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutter, GTK+ Advance For GNOME 3.4

Phoronix: Mutter, GTK+ Advance For GNOME 3.4

There's new releases of GTK+ and Mutter, both of which bring new features. The releases are GTK+ 3.3.4 and Mutter 3.3.2, which are development versions in the road to GNOME 3.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Out with the semi-old, in with the new!

GTK+ 3.3.4 drops the Beagle search back-end
    Didn't this get added like two years ago? I've never actually used it, but I remember when it started being "hyped". I did try it, but if I remember correctly it was a bit buggy and performance-hoggy at the time.

Doesn't this whole "add new library/framework/backend/front-end/functionality year 1, stabilize it year 2, deprecate it year 3, remove it and introduce new library/framework/backend/front-end/functionality year 4" feel a bit done by now? Or am I just being bitter?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      Didn't this get added like two years ago?
      It was added 4.5 years ago.

The Beagle project is dead since about 2 years. The project homepage (Archive) said: "Beagle is no longer in active development. It is getting some occasional maintenance done by Novell.". Meanwhile beagle-project.org is down.

Doesn't this whole "add new library/framework/backend/front-end/functionality year 1, stabilize it year 2, deprecate it year 3, remove it and introduce new library/framework/backend/front-end/functionality year 4" feel a bit done by now? Or am I just being bitter?
      I have a similar feeling regarding Zeitgeist in 2-4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
        It was added 4.5 years ago.

The Beagle project is dead since about 2 years. The project homepage (Archive) said: "Beagle is no longer in active development. It is getting some occasional maintenance done by Novell.". Meanwhile beagle-project.org is down.

I have a similar feeling regarding Zeitgeist in 2-4 years.
        As do I... as do I.

btw: thanks for the clarification, didn't have time to check it out myself. Perhaps you could have expected Michael to add that information to his news item as well... =)

Comment

Wow, more options. I was kind of hoping that this lack of configurability was, as it seems, just due to the project being unfinished. I dont mind keeping back options and hiding them from the GUI as long as its because they know its buggy and not done. Better try this one.

Comment

To say that beagle sucked ass would be a massive understatement.
            I seem to recall it doing some massive background cataloging that blew all the system resources available and made the system completely unusable. It was installed and active by default in 1 version of Fedora, and the ONLY way to make that version work was to kill beagle DIE DIE DIE YOU MOTHERF***ING MUTT!!!!
            Last edited by droidhacker; 22 November 2011, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              I seem to recall it doing some massive background cataloging that blew all the system resources available and made the system completely unusable. It was installed and active by default in 1 version of Fedora, and the ONLY way to make that version work was to kill beagle DIE DIE DIE YOU MOTHERF***ING MUTT!!!!
              You recall correctly. I can't remember what distro I was using, either Fedora or Ubuntu but Beagle would start up and then try to assassinate my hard drives.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                I seem to recall it doing some massive background cataloging that blew all the system resources available and made the system completely unusable
                Is there any indexing that doesn't suck?

I one time dared to try strigi + nepomuk.

Firstly, nepomuk alone eats well over 1 gb of ram. Sorry, but I need that ram, even if I have 8 gb of it.
                Then I saw that strigi was trying to index several 2+ gb text files in my home directory (some text representation of the street graphs of germany). Really, you have no default settings that would add exceptions for such big files?
                Disabled those things (thanks, KDE, for three notifications (two in english, one in german), that I have disabled nepomuk every time I log into kde) and didn't look back since.
                Although I like the idea of a semantic desktop.

Comment

Well, does it mean there is / won't be any replacement ?

I used to use Beagle and when you have many files it is very convenient. Sure the first versions sucked on the resources, but recent ones were stable and rather low on the resources.
                  Now we are left with no solution to search among huge volumes of files and ebooks, and I see it as a regression (though Google Desktop was also discontinued).

Comment

Didn't this get added like two years ago? I've never actually used it, but I remember when it started being "hyped". I did try it, but if I remember correctly it was a bit buggy and performance-hoggy at the time.

One less Microsoft C# hook.

Comment

Working...
                    X