Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Beats AMD To New Radeon Audio Code

Phoronix: Community Beats AMD To New Radeon Audio Code

It was just yesterday that I was writing about AMD still not having any new HDMI audio support code available to the public for the Radeon HD 5000 series and newer. The hold-up on this HDMI audio code for the open-source Radeon driver has been due to the patches failing to clear AMD's legal review multiple times. Well, leave it up the community, and now this morning there's some Evergreen patches for this support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally...

This is AWESOME news.
    I've waited so long to finally see this. Thank you so much.

Looking forward to see this code gets pulled into the kernel sources.

Comment

Don't be too enthusiatic though. It's the same code as previous cards, so stereo-only.

Comment

Originally posted by Xavier View Post
        Don't be too enthusiatic though. It's the same code as previous cards, so stereo-only.
        Are you sure that the hardware supports PCM 7.1 or PCM 5.1 output over HDMI? My ATI 5650m only supports stereo output. On Windows, when 5.1 surround is selected, my receiver shows that the stream switched from PCM to DTS, so compression is needed for surround sound output. I achieved something similar in Linux by using the alsa a52 plugin.

Comment

What? don't get enthusiastic :P though its not the best the card can do.. its better than no sound and twice as good as mono!

Comment

Huh

The first patch was 35 lines of new code and introduces a few new registers while the second patch was just a few lines of code.
            I looked and the patches basically came down to knowing about 10 magic numbers.

Really, AMD, you couldn't release 10 numbers?

Oh well, good work by the community here.

Just for fun, here they are:
            0x5b0
            0x5b4
            0x5bc
            0x5e78
            0x00000071
            0x5ac
            0x01
            0x77
            0x7c30
            0x7d20
            0x30
            0x1000

Hope i don't get sued.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 05 December 2011, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
              Are you sure that the hardware supports PCM 7.1 or PCM 5.1 output over HDMI? My ATI 5650m only supports stereo output. On Windows, when 5.1 surround is selected, my receiver shows that the stream switched from PCM to DTS, so compression is needed for surround sound output. I achieved something similar in Linux by using the alsa a52 plugin.
              I didn't know that. I looked at the specs and saw 5.1 was supoprted, I thought it was through native HDMI channels.

Comment

Hope i don't get sued.
                AMD won't be able to sue you.
                Their problem is that they might lose their HDCP license if information sufficient to subvert it gets published.

Comment

Really funny, when the complete hdcp encryption key is already known. hdcp is completely useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Really funny, when the complete hdcp encryption key is already known. hdcp is completely useless.
                    And the Hardware for Realtime decode coast under 200$

German news: http://www.golem.de/1111/87988.html
                    Die Arbeitsgruppe für Sichere Hardware der Ruhr-Universität Bochum konnte mit relativ wenig Aufwand das Schutzsystem der HDMI-Schnittstelle überwinden.

English http://www.h-online.com/security/new...n-1384543.html

Comment

Working...
                    X