Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Linux Frame-Buffer Driver Appears For Intel

Phoronix: A New Linux Frame-Buffer Driver Appears For Intel

A new Intel kernel frame-buffer driver has been published to the Linux kernel mailing list. However, this driver isn't for the current-generation Intel graphics hardware, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, or even for the notorious PowerVR-based Poulsbo...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

....What the heck.

Comment

Why not, it might be a fun small project, and hey, I'd rather have more hardware supported than less.

But I like how Michael posts this as "news", and then proceeds to tear it down basically saying that this is not news, or not interesting at all.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
        Why not, it might be a fun small project, and hey, I'd rather have more hardware supported than less.

But I like how Michael posts this as "news", and then proceeds to tear it down basically saying that this is not news, or not interesting at all.
        I like it when Michael posts things like this. A little nostalgia in the morning is nice

I'll disagree with his negative stance on this product. I had one and OpenGL games worked just fine on it! I had built computers for scrap for years and got the i740 in my Micron 440BX, Pentium II 400 with Ultra2 SCSI.... ahhh... SCSI, to be able to burn a CD, play an MP3 and play Quake 2 on NT 4.0. With my external SCSI Plextor CD burner I was the king of the dorm.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
          I like it when Michael posts things like this. A little nostalgia in the morning is nice

I'll disagree with his negative stance on this product. I had one and OpenGL games worked just fine on it! I had built computers for scrap for years and got the i740 in my Micron 440BX, Pentium II 400 with Ultra2 SCSI.... ahhh... SCSI, to be able to burn a CD, play an MP3 and play Quake 2 on NT 4.0. With my external SCSI Plextor CD burner I was the king of the dorm.
          I also have no problem with someone working on this. Hopefully this person manages to eventually convert it to KMS, but even if they're just using it as a learning project, that works too. If they want a follow-up project, I'd love KMS + DRI2 for my 3dfx Voodoo 3 (currently installed in my Alpha PWS).

Comment

A wishlist for old things?

- Multitexturing for Matrox, the KMS/DRI2 wouldn't hurt either.
            - XVMC for i810
            - Proper S3 X driver

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              I also have no problem with someone working on this. Hopefully this person manages to eventually convert it to KMS, but even if they're just using it as a learning project, that works too. If they want a follow-up project, I'd love KMS + DRI2 for my 3dfx Voodoo 3 (currently installed in my Alpha PWS).
              Woo, I have a DEC Alpha on my shelf! I haven't a clue what to do with it.

Comment

I played GLQuake on an i740 back in the day. I still have one but it's buried somewhere under more useful hardware.

Comment

Working...
                X